Menu

If you had a 4x8 ft. garden what would you put in it?

I've got one spot that I want to clear out and make it about 4ft x 8 ft. and then I could maybe do a three foot x 6 ft spot if I had to in another spot. This way I'm not taking up the middle of the back yard and my kids still have their normal room to play.

Anyway, I am going to look at the square ft. gardening book, but what would you put to get the most out of it. We like tomatoes, green beans, zucchini, green peppers.

Thanks,

Kristine

I would have at least one tomato plant (actually, more than one). To save space, you can get a narrow tower support and trim the branches. If your enrich the soil, you can grow them closer together. Green beans are prolific (especially if you provide a tower and get the tall-growing kind), and you would probably need only one zucchini (very prolific). You can save space with the zucchini by planting it in a corner and training it over the edge, onto the lawn. I have found green peppers to be a little trickier to grow, but worthwhile. These would probably thrive best if planted close to each other in a group (a la square foot). If you lay it out right, I think you could fit all of those in (plus a few small marigolds here and there).

I would put

tomatoes 2 plants one early and one late and use cages

I would plant sugar snap peas to grow up the cages around the tomatoes - these will be finished by the time the tomatoes are getting bigger

peppers - we are growing an heirloom variety this year that looks very interesting

Zucchini - also grow these on cages to utilize the vertical space.

We also do a hot pepper and then dry them for winter use.

A basil is also nice to have

I also grow some salad greens

This is basically the garden we grow every year.

That is the size my kids have each had as a raised bed for their 4-H gardens. They plant:

squash (2 hills)

tomatoes (2 plants) with basil in between

parsley

carrots

bush beans (green, yellow, or purple)

onions or potatoes

radishes

marigolds

lettuce

They do their sugar snap peas on a 3x3 tee-pee, and grow cucumbers in the middle (you could have two of these in your 3x6 space!).