Menu

Switching from Abeka LA to CLE LA????

cam112198

I used Abeka to teach beginning phonics for my 3 children and liked it a lot for that purpose. I really didn't care for it after the PreK/K levels though. It seemed like so much busy work so we switched to Phonics Pathways for continued phonics. Abeka was great for teaching beginning reading though. :)

I just received CLE LA yesterday hoping to start my DD on it for the 2nd half of 1st grade. I really like the looks of it and am planning on keeping it. It starts out more phonics instruction in the light unit 100's which is what I really wanted. I think the program looks really good from what I can tell so far. I like the CLE math so much that I just had to order the LA to see for myself. :)

One thing I didn't like is the cursive style which I believe starts in 205. I will use another writing program when we get to that point. :)

I used Abeka to teach beginning phonics for my 3 children and liked it a lot for that purpose. I really didn't care for it after the PreK/K levels though. It seemed like so much busy work so we switched to Phonics Pathways for continued phonics. Abeka was great for teaching beginning reading though. :)

I just received CLE LA yesterday hoping to start my DD on it for the 2nd half of 1st grade. I really like the looks of it and am planning on keeping it. It starts out more phonics instruction in the light unit 100's which is what I really wanted. I think the program looks really good from what I can tell so far. I like the CLE math so much that I just had to order the LA to see for myself. :)

One thing I didn't like is the cursive style which I believe starts in 205. I will use another writing program when we get to that point. :)

I really have enjoyed Abeka's phonics instruction and would continue with the Letters and Sounds workbook. I also don't like CLE's cursive style, and would continue with what we are using for handwriting.

Thanks for your response!!

I am using AAS for spelling, WWE for writing, and A Reason For Handwriting for handwriting. If I switch to CLE I would be skipping the handwriting and spelling part.

Do you think something like GWG would be a better fit than CLE? I have just heard that the review in CLE is wonderful and that it is a very gentle approach. I like that!

I can't speak for the upper levels of CLE but so far I think it is an excellent LA program. I homeschooled on my own the last half of last year with my oldest and I loved their approach to teaching grammar. I had started with Abeka's grammar and my daughter was just getting nothing out of it. I started my daughter with their 300 level because she had very little former grammar at all. I really liked the Abeka LA, I actually used it when I went to a Christian school once when I was a child. But she just did not like it and didn't remember half of the stuff she did in the book.

Fastforward, I thought I'd give CLe's LA a try and it worked wonders for her. She remembered the things she learned. It was a perfect fit. I did skip the handwriting and spelling parts. She still did really well with it and I plan on using it again when I start homeschooling on my own again for the next school season.

I think the key to sucess is making sure that your child takes the CLE diagnostic tests and being placed in the proper levels for it to work well.