Menu

Where to stay on the South Carolina coast?

It's time to plan my second annual girlfriends' vacation (dh & ds are Scout summer camping). Last year we stayed outside of Georgetown, SC at the Litchfield Inn at Pawley's Island. Food was excellent everywhere, and we ate in Murrell's Inlet three or four times.

It was wonderful. While we didn't have a view of the ocean due to the placement of our room, the beach was still within a short walking distance. The drive to Charleston took about 1.5 hours, which was kinda long, but no complaints. We'd like to stay south of Charleston this time, so we can visit Savannah as well.

I've been looking at Edisto Beach....

Any suggestions? I'm WIDE open.

My family has enjoyed staying at Edisto Beach and Myrtle Beach. We have stayed at Hilton Head, but found it way too crowded and commercial.

If you wants lots to do, go to Myrtle Beach. If you just want to visit with your friends go to Edisto.

really, someone said Hilton Head..too commercial, but you liked Myrtle Beach?? hmm, I think Myrtle Beach is as commercial as it gets, where as I felt like Hilton Head was a quiet, golf, almost too-boring, aimed at retirees, type of place.

But if you are wanting to day-trip to Savannah, Hilton Head is the place to be....it's a 35 minute drive at most. Plus you'll have good food, beaches.

Hilton Head!

It depends on what you're interested in doing. Charleston has so much history and going to the market and "touring" Rainbow Row and the old home district.....great. There are tons of restaurants, shops, etc.

Savannah is nice, but much smaller.

Edisto Beach - yes

Isle of Palms which is next door to Charleston....but it's just a small resort area.

Hilton Head is nice.

I'd say Charleston which will be a short drive to the beach itself and HH.

ARe you a military wife? We lived in Beaufort for 3 years in the early 90's. Best place to live, ever for us! We had some dear friends there who hs'ed, but we have lost contact and now I can't find them - wouldn't it be cool if it were you?

Wouldn't that be funny! But alas, we've only been here since '98. The military was, in fact, what moved us here though. The hs-ing community, I'm sure, has grown in your absence.

Another vote for Hilton Head. To me it's FAR less commercial than Myrtle Beach. In fact you can't see any signs anywhere because of ordinances (signs are tasteful and discreet, no garish lighting--so much so that you can't find where you're going at night if you're not familar with the place!).

If you want a very toned down beachy town, try Amelia Island...only a couple more hours down the road from Hilton Head...off the coast of Jacksonville, FL. I hear Jekyll Island, GA and the nearby islands are great too.