Menu

DD5 strange illness yesterday (Perry?)

What do you make of this:

DD5 PDG woke up yesterday morning with a tummy ache. She ate a bite or two of oatmeal w/o milk, had some peppermint tea. She just wanted to lay on the couch. About 10:00, threw it all up. (Dinner had been very normal the night before, nothing rich - chicken, rice and salad with vinaigrette.) She said she felt "better" and at this point had no fever. She went to bed on her own (that's weird in itself). She slept about an hour.

She got up, and begged for something to eat. She had no fever and seemed fine, so I gave her some water and toast. Two hours later, threw it all up. She then said she felt MUCH better, went about her business started playing with sister, albeit in a subdued way.

Dinner time came around, and BEGGED for food again, so plain pasta it was. She ate a few bites, started to cry and said she felt awful, but NOT her stomach. All of a sudden, fever of 102...came on in minutes.

Gave her some Tylenol. She went to bed, I checked on her about 4 times through the night and her fever had come down by 11:00.

Woke up this morning RAVENOUSLY hungry. No fever. No lethargy. Ate like a horse.

Does food poisoning EVER cause a fever? Would you think she was contagious at some point if it wasn't food poisoning? She is totally fine now. Running around, wanted a bath, eating fine (I'm monitoring what she's eating though.)

ETA: We had an ER visit on Monday (for me) and the girls were playing in the kids' waiting area, which is no doubt an absolute CESSPOOL of germs. Both girls had the first H1 vax, but no booster, as it wasn't available at the time it came due, then we went on vacation, yadda yadda yadda...

Edited by BikeBookBread

That exact same bug hit us the week of Christmas. Dd had it Christmas day (opened presents and promptly threw-up) and was over it in 24 hours. I got it on the 27th, and was down for three days. The throwing up only lasted a day and if my first day sick hadn't been my first no smoking day I'd probably been up sooner than I was.