Menu

Porcupine Balls recipe

I have not made this, but my cookbook has a recipe for Porcupine Meatballs that looks good.

1 egg beaten

1 can tomato soup (or sauce) the 10 oz or so size

1/4 c. long grain rice

1/4 tsp onion powder

1/4 tsp pepper

1 lb lean gr. beef

1 tsp Worcestershire sauce

1/2 tsp oregano

Combine egg, 1/4 c. of soup (or sauce), uncooked rice, onion powder, and pepper. Add beef; mix well. Shape into 20 meatballs. Place in large skillet.

Mix the remaining soup with Worcestershire sauce, oregano and 1/2 c. water. Pour over meatballs. Bring to boiling; reduce heat. COver; Simmer, stirring often, about 20 minutes or till no pink remains in meat and rice is tender. Skim fat. Serve with Parmesan cheese.

from Better Homes and Gardens

I have not made this, but my cookbook has a recipe for Porcupine Meatballs that looks good.

1 egg beaten

1 can tomato soup (or sauce) the 10 oz or so size

1/4 c. long grain rice

1/4 tsp onion powder

1/4 tsp pepper

1 lb lean gr. beef

1 tsp Worcestershire sauce

1/2 tsp oregano

Combine egg, 1/4 c. of soup (or sauce), uncooked rice, onion powder, and pepper. Add beef; mix well. Shape into 20 meatballs. Place in large skillet.

Mix the remaining soup with Worcestershire sauce, oregano and 1/2 c. water. Pour over meatballs. Bring to boiling; reduce heat. COver; Simmer, stirring often, about 20 minutes or till no pink remains in meat and rice is tender. Skim fat. Serve with Parmesan cheese.

from Better Homes and Gardens

This is the exact same one I have except that instead of the skillet, mine calls for baking in a covered dish at 350°F for 40 minutes, then uncovered for 20 mins. We make it about once a month and it is very tasty. Leftovers make a neat lunch, too.

This is the exact same one I have except that instead of the skillet, mine calls for baking in a covered dish at 350°F for 40 minutes, then uncovered for 20 mins. We make it about once a month and it is very tasty. Leftovers make a neat lunch, too.

Thanks for telling this. I like the oven idea much better than on the stove. I'll have to make these because I think the kids will like them a lot!

Melissa,

The kids loved it last night. I made it in the oven, and I added garlic and onion powder. I'm always looking for meals that everyone loves.. and this was a winner. Thanks again

Lee

OOhhh, that sounds good! I will definitely make these here soon. I know they will like them. Thanks for the report on the results!

been scared of pressure cookers, my mother use to tell me that the lids could blow off and my grandmother used it ALL the time, so I stayed clear of her kitchen! I have never made them, but remember that they were very good and funny looking with the rice standing up on them.

My mom always made it with Rice-a-Roni mix:

1 lb ground beef

1 egg

1 package beef Rice a Roni

1-1/2 cups hot water

Mix the ground beef, egg and rice/pasta from Rice-a-Roni mix, and form into meatballs. Brown the meatballs on all sides in large skillet. Combine the water and seasoning mix from the Rice-a-Roni and pour over meatballs. Simmer for 30 minutes. Yummy with mashed potatoes.

We don't eat beef anymore and I've tried to find a good Rice-a-Roni mix to substitute with ground ground turkey but haven't had any luck.

• 4 months later...

I have made the recipe that was posted here before, baked them and all was good. The kids loved them! So how come tonight the rice was hard/uncooked? The only thing different tonight was the rice. We used basmati rice. Would that make a difference. My kids wouldnt eat them because they were "crunchy" :glare: Thankfully I had some leftover kraft mac-n-cheese. Any advice?

I have made the recipe that was posted here before, baked them and all was good. The kids loved them! So how come tonight the rice was hard/uncooked? The only thing different tonight was the rice. We used basmati rice. Would that make a difference. My kids wouldnt eat them because they were "crunchy" :glare: Thankfully I had some leftover kraft mac-n-cheese. Any advice?

Oh, I would like to know the answer to that question also. I tried the recipe a while ago and had crunchy porcupines. Not a hit at my house. Thanks.