Menu

Favorite Read-Aloud list for K-3?

Staceyshoe

I'm just getting my feet wet with homeschooling. I would like to start reading aloud to ds every day to give him more exposure to children's literature (and maybe do some living books about history or science topics, though that's not my primary objective at this point). There are so many different lists from various sources. Do you have a favorite list that you use as a starting point when choosing what to read aloud? One with lots of books your children enjoyed and also gave them exposure to some of the classic, well-known books out there?

I was given a great recommendation here from several moms:

Honey for a Child's Heart by Gladys Hunt.

I absolutely love it! I made a hard copy of the list in the back of the book. Placed the age levels at the bottom of the first page and highlighted the books for the ages we're currently in. I plan on having this list highlighted with multiple colors by the time the kids are in their teens!

At the library, we pick up several of the books (they're in Pre-K and K) and I have yet to be disappointed with one. They are creative, well illustrated and have great threads for character, morals, etc.

It's made navigating the kid section a joy.

Probably not the BEST "list" form, but if you join for free at Book Adventure, you can search books for any genre and levels from infant to 8th grade. I just printed out a list 3 pages long (for dd7) to take with us to the library. It shows ISBN, author, and some have a brief synopsis. Also, there are HUNDREDS of titles that have a quick "quiz" your child can take after reading the book to earn prizes from the site.

Not exactly what you were looking for, but we like it & I use it at least 3-4 times a week so it might offer you something.

Cindy

I almost forgot, there are several listed here: Read-Aloud Handbook If you can find a copy of this at your library, it offers hundreds of books with reviews.

I agree with The Read Aloud Handbook by Jim Trelease.

Also, take a look at Sonlight's catalog. The books from P3/4, P4/5, and Core K would work for K. Most Kers still enjoy picture books, and P3/4 and P4/5 has a lot of good, classic picture books. Core K is too much for many Kers, but some of the shorter chapter books might be a good transition to chapter books, if you're not already reading them. My Father's Dragon, James Herriot's Treasury for Children, and The Boxcar Children are good K read alouds. The longer, more complex Core K read alouds- like The Family Under the Bridge, you could save for 1st grade. Then take a look at the Core 1 and 2 read alouds for 2nd and 3rd- Charlotte's Web, Homer Price, Mr. Popper's Penguins, Little Pear, The Cricket in Times Square, etc.

Five In a Row is another good source for classic picture books, some of them are long and complex picture books.

I really appreciate the Sonlight catalog for this, even though we don't use their program. I've ordered some books from them, but am more likely to tear out a catalog page and take it to the library with me. We've discovered some great books this way, most that I didn't read as a child but really enjoyed with my dc, and I don't have to worry about the content (we're pretty conservative on what I allow them to read).

I really appreciate the Sonlight catalog for this, even though we don't use their program. I've ordered some books from them, but am more likely to tear out a catalog page and take it to the library with me. We've discovered some great books this way, most that I didn't read as a child but really enjoyed with my dc, and I don't have to worry about the content (we're pretty conservative on what I allow them to read).

I love the SL books. Even before I started using SL Cores, I, too, found some great books by browsing their site and catalog.