Menu

Does anyone use a grain mill?

I have severe food allergies and am starting a gluten-free diet, but it is so difficult to find flours that aren't cross-contaminated with wheat, corn, dairy, soy, eggs, etc (plus they are expensive!), and we are seriously considering getting a grain mill.

I'm curious about:

- your experiences with it

- where you buy your bulk grain - seems like a lot of places do 30-50 lbs, which is way more than I'd need or use

- where you even find instructions for how to make certain flours - I've looked online for how to make brown rice flour and can't even find consistent instructions (some say cook the rice, others say don't)

Thank you so much for any help!

I have a Nutrimill. It's very nice!

Whole grains don't spoil until they are cracked or milled, so buy in bulk and store it. It saves $ and the trouble of buying the grains.

You don't want to put anything wet into the mill....so no cooked rice in the mill. I make rice flour with no problems with just the dry rice. I make cornmeal too...and that makes THE best cornbread!!!:D

Oh - to make the flour - you just pour the dry grains in the top and turn the dial. easypeasy

and - I have bought my grains through a co-op. hth

Edited by 3blessingmom
actually answering the questions lol

You don't want to put anything wet into the mill....so no cooked rice in the mill. I make rice flour with no problems with just the dry rice. I make cornmeal too...and that makes THE best cornbread!!!:D

hth

Slightly stupid question, but do your mill instructions say to not grind any corn? Mine do and whereas I would like to not break my mill, some cornmeal would be great!

i've been doing my research and have come to the same conclusions. I am just about to purchase a nutrimill grain mill and a big ol' bag of grain. wheat berries never go bad, so they can be stored indefinitely, but you need to store them in food-grade containers with gamma lids.

I have a Nutrimill. It's very nice!

Whole grains don't spoil until they are cracked or milled, so buy in bulk and store it. It saves $ and the trouble of buying the grains.

:iagree:

I have a Wonder Mill and love it! We buy grain in bulk from Breadbeckers.

http://www.breadbeckers.com

They have co-ops in different areas you can order from quarterly, and sell in 5 gallon buckets or small bags. The buckets are the best deal in terms of $ and convenience. If you buy in bulk be sure and order a gamma seal lid. It makes using the bucket hassle free and seals completely to protect your grain. We buy 50# bags of popcorn from Sams Club. It makes wonderful fresh cornmeal, and there is always popcorn on hand for family movie time!

I have the nutrimill and have been very happy with it. I gave a an old stone mill (which used to be the best available) to get it. The nutrimill is so very fast.

As far a buying grain, I get mine through the Country Life Natural Foods Co-op that is available around here. However several of our local grocery stores carry the berries (wheat, rye, oats for sure maybe others too). Also if you have an amish community near you, I'm sure you could find them there. The closest one to us is about an hour away but they have a grocery store that carries lots of this stuff that is MUCH cheaper than I can buy it at the local stores.

Guest Cindie2dds

I have a Wolfgang. It grinds it very fine to make lovely bread. My husband picked it out. He wanted one that used stones not blades to grind the berries. We buy our wheat berries in 50 lbs containers from the local compound since it's the only organic source we can find without having to pay shipping.