Menu

Testing Options for a 1st grader in VA

calledtobehome

I really liked the ITBS, because it gave me a lot of information and I could do it at home. I get mine from BJU Press. THey need proof of your college degree--if it's framed, just take and print out a digital picture and send it in with the application. (Or use a copy machine if you have one on your printer...)

I've used both the cat and itbs, I think the ITBS has more information in the report I get to help me. I did order from BJUP last year (I had to send a copy of the degree with some other paperwork to fill out) but this year I'm going with Brewer Testing Service, they don't require pre-registering like BJUP and I've heard they send the results back quicker. It took about 7 weeks to get the results back from BJUP, I've heard Brewer takes about 2-3 weeks to return results, so we'll see what happens this year.

Kel

We use the CAT from Hewitt Testing Service because it is cheap ($25 total), can be done by the parent at home (no requisites), has a fast turn around (received materials in 2 days, received scores in 5 days), and I only test to meet the state requirement (takes a couple of hours to complete, I can check the box that I tested, and we can get on with something useful).

I did have B take the Woodcock-Johnson one year, but did not share those results with the school system.

I used the CAT-E (a short version of the CAT, $25) from Seton for 1st and 2nd. It meets state requirements and is great for short attention spans. You have to do more reading to them at that level anyway, so it's better to keep it simple for both of you. The results you get are not that detailed, but are helpful.

And actually Hewitt doesn't sell the CAT. I think that Colleen is thinking of the CAT-E from Seton. They do the PASS exam ($36+) which is for 3rd-8th, and is nice because you pretest and tailor it to the child so that they test where they really are versus having to go through a wide range of questions. Some Virginia counties don't like the PASS because it's not as well-known and is normed a little differently, but I used it for a number of years and my county was OK with it. I found the detail helpful.

This year we're probably going to use the Iowa (ITBS) from BJUP at home to test because my oldest is beyond the PASS, and I want one more year at home before we switch to group testing to get them used to that for college testing. I'm a certified tester for the Iowa from BJUP (not a big deal), and can test my own children at home. I also am certified to give the Stanford, but there are rules that limit you from testing only your own children.

It's really not a big deal. I've never done any test prep, and never been surprised by the scores, but it meets the requirements and DH likes to see the results each year.