Menu

Need non-parental involvement science

I had a baby last year and haven't really been the same since. I've recently gone on some medication to help, but there are days when I'm really too tired to do much of anything with my kids.

We didn't get much done this fall, and now we need to step up the pace. I didn't plan science on purpose this fall, to help ease into high school for my oldest. Well, now we are in the second semester and I have no idea what to do for science. She hasn't had a lot of science background and now we are heading into high school. She did a Life Science unit for Cyber-Ed last. She's currently taking algebra, but won't be done with it until sometime in the spring.

Since my time is limited, I need something that she can do on her own. I'm looking at MODG Natural or Earth Science, OM Earth Science, SOS Earth Science, and Texas Tech online/print classes. They offer an environmental science and a biology that she may be able to do. I can get her a biology lab at the local community college this summer, I hope.

She has no input, just knows that she needs science. I thought she might like an earth science class. I've also thought about Conceptual Physics, but I don't know if she could do it on her own. Plus, I'd like her to take physics and chem at the community college once she's a high school junior.

Thanks.

Kinetic Books has an interactive/online Conceptual Physics course. The teaching and exercises are all online, and it only costs $25 for a year's access. There is also a "Virtual Lab" program for physics, which is also $25 for a year. It looks like it could be done entirely independently. There are demos on the website:

http://www.kineticbooks.com/

Jackie

There's also Apologia (highly recommended by my dd14 :001_smile:) It's very independent--written to the student, good supporting materials, and also help available from Apologia for any problems that arise (the one time we asked a question, we got a response within just a few hours.) Both my kids have used Apologia with very little assistance from me--basically all I do is correct their tests (the answer key is very clear and detailed) and supervise a lab or two if needed.

You can start right off with Biology in 9th grade--no need for a whole lot of science background really. We've used the biology, chemistry, physics, adv physics and adv chemistry. Dd did biology last year in 8th grade and loved it.

HTH!

I had a baby last year and haven't really been the same since. I've recently gone on some medication to help, but there are days when I'm really too tired to do much of anything with my kids.

We didn't get much done this fall, and now we need to step up the pace. I didn't plan science on purpose this fall, to help ease into high school for my oldest. Well, now we are in the second semester and I have no idea what to do for science. She hasn't had a lot of science background and now we are heading into high school. She did a Life Science unit for Cyber-Ed last. She's currently taking algebra, but won't be done with it until sometime in the spring.

Since my time is limited, I need something that she can do on her own. I'm looking at MODG Natural or Earth Science, OM Earth Science, SOS Earth Science, and Texas Tech online/print classes. They offer an environmental science and a biology that she may be able to do. I can get her a biology lab at the local community college this summer, I hope.

She has no input, just knows that she needs science. I thought she might like an earth science class. I've also thought about Conceptual Physics, but I don't know if she could do it on her own. Plus, I'd like her to take physics and chem at the community college once she's a high school junior.

Thanks.

OM's (Oak Meadow) Earth Science is not meaty enough for high school credit as it's a 5th grade text, but OM's offers an Environmental Science course for high school.

OM's (Oak Meadow) Earth Science is not meaty enough for high school credit as it's a 5th grade text, but OM's offers an Environmental Science course for high school.

Thanks Taz. I was looking at the high school course, but typed the wrong course name.

She's providing more input now that I'm querying her more. We're thinking about having her read a basic chem and physics text this spring and then start her in a more rigorous biology in the fall. I'm thinking about Paradigm's IPC, but just the text. Conceptual physics and/or chem might also fit the bill.

I hadn't thought about Abeka. I'll look into that. Other ideas are most welcome. I would like her to have three good science credits for high school and we may just have to do that in 10th - 12th grade rather than doing one in 9th.

I plan to have her do some work over the summer, so she should have some time to read.

Edited by susie in tx

We're thinking about having her read a basic chem and physics text this spring and then start her in a more rigorous biology in the fall. I'm thinking about Paradigm's IPC, but just the text. Conceptual physics and/or chem might also fit the bill.

There is a combined Physics/Chem text by Hewitt & Suchocki which can be used at a high school level, called Conceptual Physical Science Explorations. The "Explorations" text is a bit simpler than the college-level Conceptual Physical Science text. Both texts also include some Astronomy and Earth Science, but you could skip those sections if you wanted. I think it would be quite doable to cover the Physics & Chem chapters of the Explorations book in a semester. Used copies are available quite inexpensively:

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/0321106636/ref=olp_product_details?ie=UTF8&me=&seller=

Jackie

Good Morning!

Have you looked at the DIVE CDs for science? The same guy who did the DIVE CDs for Saxon Math has done a series of science courses (lectures and labs) designed to be used with a variety of texts. He has syllabi for ABaka, BJU, and Apologia to coordinate the texts with his lectures. These courses include quarterly tests (at least chemistry does - the one we are using this year) and weekly lab activities. Very student directed! Plus the cost is reasonable - only $50 per course. Something else to think about!

blessings,

April

Thanks Taz. I was looking at the high school course, but typed the wrong course name.

She's providing more input now that I'm querying her more. We're thinking about having her read a basic chem and physics text this spring and then start her in a more rigorous biology in the fall. I'm thinking about Paradigm's IPC, but just the text. Conceptual physics and/or chem might also fit the bill.

I hadn't thought about Abeka. I'll look into that. Other ideas are most welcome. I would like her to have three good science credits for high school and we may just have to do that in 10th - 12th grade rather than doing one in 9th.

I plan to have her do some work over the summer, so she should have some time to read.

We are using the Paradigm's IPC and I think it's pretty good, not that I know a whole lot about Physics and I don't remember much about Chemistry. My kids are learning, DD doesn't love it because she'd rather be blowing something up, but she is getting it.