Menu

My 8 y/o wants more work.

rafiki

I've become a fan of the Flash Kids books found at Barnes & Noble:

http://search.barnesandnoble.com/Gifted-Talented/Flash-Kids-Editors/e/9781411495562/?itm=6&usri=flash+kids+gifted+++talented+series

They have a nice selection if you have a B&N near you to check out!! The 1st grade book has a lot of writing in it so I would imagine the 2nd grade book would too.

Edited by MissKNG

How about starting Latin? It would be worthwhile and give him a challenge. He couldn't do it all on his own but you could give him a lesson and then he could do the work on his own. Even at that age my girls could quiz themselves on the vocabulary using flash cards.

Another thing would be to add more memory work. Get a book like Living Memory and just had it to him. Tell him to pick something to memorize. When he's done, he can pick something else. My middle dd loves that.

Heather

If he likes puzzles, check out the ThinkFun products. We all (especially me) love to play with these in our spare time. Some of the games, like Rush Hour, have extra card packs you can buy if you finish the ones it comes with. Another puzzle we love is Lonpos 303. It has 303 2-D and 3-D puzzles to solve. I bought it from Timberdoodle.com and it is portable for the car, etc.

He's technically a 2nd grader this year as he turned 8 on Halloween.

I'll use this morning as an example. In 1 hour he completed: math flashcards with me, MUS dvd lesson and front and back of worksheet that went with it, 1 page of CWP's, 1 ETC page (he's in book 7), 2 lessons with me in WWE, and 2 handwriting worksheets.

Then he read for 40 minutes. So we started at 8, he's done at 9:40. His 9 y/o brother is doing his math at the moment, when he finishes both will do MCT LA's with me.

DS is asking for more he can do on his own, specifically writing? He's devoured logic books, Complete a Sketch cd rom, Thinker Doodles, and Maps, Charts, Graphs which I used as fillers the first half of the year. Any suggestions? He loves art and puzzles. How are the Artpacs? I'd like to hold off until fall for Greek Code Crackers.

You don't mention science or history. Both of those could be done with books he can read on his own and possibly some workbooks. He could pursue whatever topic is of interest unless you had some specific order in which you wanted him to proceed. My 9yo daughter has enjoyed making notebooks from activity packs I bought at Borders in the bargain section--one on US presidents, one on the solar system. They have stickers, stencils, informational material, etc. Lapbooks he could do independently?

Geography---turn him loose with some geography workbooks and let him memorize the states, countries, capitals, draw and color flags, etc as an extension of whatever he has done with Maps, Charts and Graphs.

For art, have you looked at Child-sized Masterpieces? He could play the games with them independently http://harmonyartmom.blogspot.com/2007/10/child-size-masterpieces-how-to-use.html

Give him paper, pencils and some of the "how to draw...." books from the library on whatever topic he likes---dinosaurs, cars, monsters, animals, science topics, space ships, whatever. Mark Kistler's Draw Squad books might be of interest.

Let him go at his own speed with ETC rather than limiting him to one per day. My daughter finished up through ETC 8 at that age and could do it independently.

Good ideas given above... we do 2 pages of MUS a day so you could up his math as well. Do you do history or science narrations. These take my kids some time. I'm not familiar with all the curriculum you're using... do you have grammar in there. Latin was a good suggestion too...