Menu

Need advice: Science

nitascool

We do a kind of Modified WTM & AO with the boys. This year I covered Chemistry and Physics with my oldest 9, we used the suggested materials in yr.3 & 4 of AO and years 3, 7, 4 & 8 of WTM except "Sound Vibrations" which is out of print and not in our Library base. We'll be finishing up the year with a lapbook (mostly busy work... just in case we get a visit from the BoE).

With my ds 8, he used Liberty Press Nature Readers, year 2 & 3 of AO, and year 2 & 6 of WTM. He's also reading through the illustrated Atlas of the Human Body (for fun). He will also be doing a lapbook to finish up the year.

It just never seems like I can get enough science for them.

I'm about to buy next years materials and am wondering what Science to buy... I'm thinking of buying "Exploring Creation with..." series. My oldest has asked to do a botany study and zoology. My 8yo. has asked to do more astronomy and zoology.

From the reviews of the material it sounds like a decidedly "Christian" perspective on science. I'm concerned that the material may be more Sunday School then science? Have any of you used this material with accelerated children? If so can you give me an idea of the material and just how much time it took to get through the materials Please. Thank you.

• 2 weeks later...

We're using CLE's science and while is is very much a religious program, the science part of it is very well done. We haven't gotten much to the more theoretical side of it, but reading through some of the botany & biology lessons I was really impressed with how thorough it is. Yacko & Wacko are working through the 600 level together and Dot is in the 100 level.

It is most definitely Christian, literal 6-day creationist, anti-evolution curriculum. If that isn't what you're looking for, this is not the curriculum for you. It is NOT adequately tweakable to be secular.

It contains quotes like this: "So you see, science will never be able to uncover the 'secret ingredient' that makes life possible."

Make sure that's what you want your children learning before you get this curriculum for them.