Menu

Best solar system/space project book(s)?

momto2Cs

hopefully tomorrow as a family. We gathered our goodies today. I am so excited about this project because I ahve been wondering jsut this for years.

How Big is the Solar System. the Thousand Yard Model

or The Earth as a peppercorn.

Here's a link ( I hope)

www.noao.edu/education/peppercorn

I think it's a good start, regardelss of your curriculum.

have fun.

~c.

We loved George's Secret Key to the Universe; it's a fictional story, but it's written by Stephen Hawking and his daughter, Lucy, and it's full of factual, non-fiction information about space and the planets. We used that as an organizing principle, then followed up on any particularly interesting tidbits. There's a website http://www.georgessecretkey.com/ that may be of interest.

We are going to use “Explore the Solar System†and “Amazing Solar System Projects You Can Build Yourself†in addition to some Make it Work OOP titles, and a couple of PS school textbooks that we have lying around.

Here’s an interesting link:

make your own telescope

When we went to the Observatory, a very helpful man there was describing how we could make our own telescope, if we could just get our hands on some PVC piping. But then, why not just go to an Observatory, there are tons of people there who will talk to your children for hours about the wonders of astronomy! (you may not be able to get away) And they have much larger telescopes…..:tongue_smilie: