Menu

How are you implimenting MCT Caesar's English 1?

Karie

I got my books the other day and am going through them. At first, I was a bit overwhelmed, but now I'm starting to understand it.

The MCT website suggests doing vocab in 2 ways-over the whole school year after grammar is done, or over a quarter. There are 20 lessons with reviews every 5. What are you doing with the vocab portion?? I'm curious how you are implimenting this. Do you make falshcards? etc. Any suggestions on how to methodically work through this would be great.

Thanks!

Did you get an email telling you when your shipment was sent?

I ordered Christmas Eve and haven't heard anything - other than my credit card was billed.... I want my books!!! ;)

How were they shipped?

I'm about to email them and ask, but I don't want to pester too much over the holidays... but I want the books!!!

I got my books the other day and am going through them. At first, I was a bit overwhelmed, but now I'm starting to understand it.

The MCT website suggests doing vocab in 2 ways-over the whole school year after grammar is done, or over a quarter. There are 20 lessons with reviews every 5. What are you doing with the vocab portion?? I'm curious how you are implimenting this. Do you make falshcards? etc. Any suggestions on how to methodically work through this would be great.

We started CEI after the grammar, but my kids were strongest in grammar already, so we fairly well blew through that book (now doing the Practice book).

In a typical week, I sit down and read through the next chapter of CEI with the kids on Mondays and Wednesdays. After that, either later that day or the next morning, they do "homework" - for the stems chapters it's just the word search, for the whole word chapters it's the Synonyms and Rewrites - the rest we did orally together. On Tues/Thurs I give the cumulative quizzes (just hand it to them, it takes them a few minutes). There is a quiz for every chapter and built-in review in every single quiz - I'm not sure what you mean about review every 5 chapters? With all that review, I haven't found the need to do flash cards. They seem to be retaining very well (we'll see what happens when they get their first quiz after the Christmas break!)

It would be a completely reasonable pace to only do CEI once a week, getting done in 20 weeks - at this rate we'll be done in well under a year, but they're in 6th grade doing Town, so I thought we might even get to Voyage level by the end of the year if we quickened the pace. We'll see...

In the back of the book, there are sections called Twenty questions and they recommended to doing this after the 5th lesson-use it as a review time.

Whoops - totally missed that, and we're on lesson 15! :tongue_smilie:

Really, the cumulative quizzes after every lesson keep the vocab fresh. Whether they could answer some of those twenty questions (many/most of which have nothing to do with vocab - "What Roman Emperor warned against condemning the innocent?" " Who won the 1993 Nobel Prize for Literature?") is a whole different question. Honestly, I haven't really been all that concerned if they retain those factoids as long as they internalize the vocabulary...

We just got ours here, too. I'm looking forward to hearing how everyone's experience goes. We didn't get the practice books, but now I'm wondering if that might have been a good idea as there aren't as many practice exercises in the teacher's manuals as I thought.

I try to do the CE at least once a week, but it depends. I usually do half of each lesson at a time, although I do more of the stem lesson than the actual vocab ones, as they are less involved. Then I either do the test or make up my own after we have finished. I have to say, as I am taking WAY TOO LONG to finish this whole level, the retention has been amazing! My kids are always excited when they hear or come across one of the words.

Thanks!

- We started vocab at the beginning, but I have an older child.

- We aren't using vocab cards but again I have an older child. Some of the online flashcard sites have MCT words entered, but I'm not sure if they're mostly the older, WWW, books? My son learns best by hearing, so I haven't used them.

- We did a lot together, but ds did the word finds & quizzes on his own. Occasionally he could do other stuff on his own if I needed him to, but we usually did the other exercises about analogies, synonyms, and such together.

- During the first 10 vocab lessons, we spent 3 days on the root lessons and 4 days on the vocab lessons, with the last of those days having maybe one small exercise but mostly review & quiz.

- During lessons 11-20, we are taking an extra day of review for each lesson, so 4 & 5 days for each lesson.

- We skipped the first 20 question quiz or two. Then I started telling my son we'd have a quiz on the misc. details he'd heard. I don't fuss about these but thought they were an interesting addition.