Menu

Need something other than minimus

SeekingSimplicity

This is our first year doing latin. My 10 yo is using Minmus latin. We didn't get the teachers manual, just the comic book and the cd. She listens to the cd, reads the book, then writes words in her notebook she needs to remember.

She doesn't seem to be retaining much of it tho. Actually she seems to be retaining more of School Song Latin, that her brother and sister are doing, even tho she's not doing it with them. Learning by song seems to be a better approach for her.

Is there another program besides minimus that would be good for her? Or is there something different we can do with minimus that she would get more good out of?

This is our first year doing latin. My 10 yo is using Minmus latin. We didn't get the teachers manual, just the comic book and the cd. She listens to the cd, reads the book, then writes words in her notebook she needs to remember.

She doesn't seem to be retaining much of it tho. Actually she seems to be retaining more of School Song Latin, that her brother and sister are doing, even tho she's not doing it with them. Learning by song seems to be a better approach for her.

Is there another program besides minimus that would be good for her? Or is there something different we can do with minimus that she would get more good out of?

Minimus is actually a very good program, but it takes a much different approach than SSL. The reason she seems to be retaining more from SSL is because SSL's strength is in vocabulary building and enhancement.

On the other hand, the aim of Minimus is to teach English grammar concepts in the context of the Latin language. It's really helpful to have the teacher's manual and to read it carefully so that you see this progression. Each chapter focuses on a different grammar concept: nouns, verbs, adjectives, adverbs, prepositions, etc. Minimus presents these concepts at a more advanced level than SSL, so it may seem progress is slower, but it's also at a deeper level. (Note that the stories in SSL are diglot weaves: Latin vocabulary mixed in with English language text, whereas Minimus presents complete Latin texts for reading.)

Oh, so she may be retaining more than I realize, because it's more than vocabulary. So you think we do need the teacher's book? When I was shopping for materials I was told that it wasn't necessary, so I didn't get it. But I've wondered several times since then if I should have gotten it, because I think I may not be teaching it right.

We have used Minimus, own Lively Latin, and have done Latin for Children A and are in B.

Minimus was fun, but it is a whole-to-parts way of teaching Latin, where they give you the big picture and then show you the parts that are making up that picture. That did NOT work well for dd-she didn't retain a thing.

The other two I mentioned are parts-to-whole, where they teach you the individual parts-grammar, vocab, etc-and then have you put those together. That made much more sense, and I think is the generally preferred and traditional way of teaching Latin. HTH!

I've never fully understood the parts-to-whole and whole-to-parts descriptions (for any subject :) ), but we are using Minimus and love it. However, I wouldn't have liked it without the teacher guide. I'd feel completely lost. It is kind of expensive though so if you can find it used, that's probably the best way.

Good luck,

We have used Minimus, own Lively Latin, and have done Latin for Children A and are in B.

Minimus was fun, but it is a whole-to-parts way of teaching Latin, where they give you the big picture and then show you the parts that are making up that picture. That did NOT work well for dd-she didn't retain a thing.

The other two I mentioned are parts-to-whole, where they teach you the individual parts-grammar, vocab, etc-and then have you put those together. That made much more sense, and I think is the generally preferred and traditional way of teaching Latin. HTH!

The weakness of the "parts to whole" approach is that too many people get stuck in memorizing all the little individual parts (the forms) but don't ever figure out how all those little parts work together (the syntax). Most "parts to whole" programs are very good at teaching the discrete pieces but not so good at showing how they all fit together to create sentences and paragraphs and convey meaning.

Meanwhile, the weakness of the "whole to parts" approach is that knowing all the individual parts systematically does help develop accuracy. So when you are working with a "whole to parts" textbook, it's important, I think, to incorporate some "parts to whole" activities. That way, you get the best of both worlds. It's harder to create the "whole to parts" activities (the sentences, the stories, the context) than it is to weave in the "parts to whole" activities. You really need to integrate both approaches.

I agree with Latinteach that you do need to start them putting things together and translating, etc. in a parts-to-whole. We have found LFC to do a good job with this. Once you get to LFC B they have a wonderful history translation book that dd10 just loves and it's very meaty.

I think it depends on the person learning too. I know that whole-to-parts would never work with dd or me-we just don't think that way! But for a global (or other) learner, it may be the only way they can grasp it.

I had also meant to say in my other post that I found the TM to be hugely important for me to do Minimus. (I know some people are fine not using it!) And we will probably pull Minimus out this summer to finish for fun now that she is familiar with more grammar.

Edited by HappyGrace

Oh, so she may be retaining more than I realize, because it's more than vocabulary. So you think we do need the teacher's book? When I was shopping for materials I was told that it wasn't necessary, so I didn't get it. But I've wondered several times since then if I should have gotten it, because I think I may not be teaching it right.

It's not absolutely necessary, but it is very helpful and it really does help because it gives you the context for each chapter, and helps you know what to focus in on. It is an expensive manual, but many teacher's manuals are. It does have reproducible activities in it. (Don't write in it and it should retain some decent resale value.)

The sections you'll be wanting to read and reinforce with your child are the "Grasp the Grammar" sections in the manual which give you ideas on how to explain the grammar concepts introduced in the chapters and give you some ideas on activities to extend their learning.

There is a yahoo group for minimus that got permission to let HS parents print out the TM for free.

I have searched for this an not found it. Will you link please? I would be willing to try Minimus if the TM were free, but not if I have to pay $70 for it.

Tara

I have searched for this an not found it. Will you link please? I would be willing to try Minimus if the TM were free, but not if I have to pay $70 for it.
Unfortunately, this is no longer available. As I understand it, there was a misunderstanding that the permission was being given for sharing among a small homeschool group, and the Yahoo! group owners were asked to remove the files.