Menu

Just need to express frustration

I am still waiting for dd's school to send out information regarding whether they are going to transition to all-day Kindergarten. Every fiber of my being is against all-day K for her. She is a young five and going from 8 hours a week to 35 hours a week is just plain wrong, IMO. The studies I have found indicate there is no academic difference by fifth grade between kids who have attended full-day K versus half-day K. Also, academics are covered in the morning in most programs and the afternoons are used for naps and enrichment. Since tuition would be over $4,000 a year, I can provide naps and enrichment at home.

She wants to stay there half-day. She wants to experience gym and go to the Daddy-Daughter Dance again. I believe every child's needs are different so I won't force her to homeschool, but send out the notice already! I'm hoping they will still offer the half-day option, but I'm tired of worrying and thinking about it. Does anyone have a switch I can use to temporarily turn off that part of my mind?

My daughter started ps one year after they started full day kindergarten. I was the only parent who took the full day option that year but I did get permission for her to stay through lunch and recess, which I think really helped out socially.

My daughter thought she was the luckiest kid in the class getting to come home for the afternoons. I did a daily reading lesson but beyond that did what we would normally do and she felt all along that she was ahead of the other kids.

I just heard back from my friend on the board. They had recently had the preschool parents fill out surveys regarding their position on all-day Kindergarten, and apparently they came back 50/50 for/against. Since we are a small Catholic school, we have no room to expand without an addition or moving preschool off-site. Since there wasn't a clear majority in favor of the change, they are tabling it until next year. Thankfully I won't have to worry about it!

Thanks for everyone who listened to me whine. This is such a huge load off my mind! Now, I have a year to decide whether to homeschool dd for 1st grade!