Menu

Looking for a curriculum for non lit. loving almost 5th grader...

Emma

I've finally decided that my almost 5th grader doesn't like lit. based programs; we've tried SL and WP and K12(ewww). I'm looking for next yr. (5th grade) and I'm looking at Calvert, CLE, and CLP. Any advice would be really appreciated... I just don't know what to do with this child... <sigh>

Does s/he like textbooks or workbooks more? I have had a few who didn't like to read, got bored with read alouds, etc. I used a mixture of old textbooks like those found on google that I considered "living" and some newer workbooks. They turned out fine, high gpa in college and started to really enjoy lit. around age 17. I think some of these kids are too busy living life to read about other people living life.

He doesn't particularly enjoy school at all. It is a struggle. He does fine with Abeka grammar, but Abeka everything... I don't think I'd like that. I feel like at this age he will need at least a history and science textbook with comprehension questions/maps/writing assignments,etc. I'm fine with doing a blend of different programs. What do you suggest?

If you want him to do some reading, you might look into Learning Language Arts through Literature. It has 4 book studies per year--you can very easily choose different books than they suggest as they aren't tied into the daily studies. The remainder of the reading is in the workbook and is short snipetts. Seems to work for my DD who will only read "funny" books. *sigh* Getting her to read anything classic is impossible! I am supplementing it with Spelling Power, R&S grammar, and a vocab book.

We listen to a lot of audio books in the car, which all my children really enjoy, so you may want to try that.

This looks really interesting and not too much for him. I know he could do 4 books in a yr.! LOL! How do you change the books that they use though? I see where one of the 5th grade books, Meet Addy, is an American Girl book. Don't the assignments relate back to those books? Also, do you have any suggestions for history or science for a non lit. kid? Thanks for taking the time to answer.

This looks really interesting and not too much for him. I know he could do 4 books in a yr.! LOL! How do you change the books that they use though? I see where one of the 5th grade books, Meet Addy, is an American Girl book. Don't the assignments relate back to those books? Also, do you have any suggestions for history or science for a non lit. kid? Thanks for taking the time to answer.

Those books were the reason that I picked it for DD! :D I'm sure they will appeal to her.

How the book studies work is that they have vocabulary work, 2 discussion questions for each chapter, and another higher order thinking activity such as sequencing events. The latter activity is not very extensive either. They cover all these activities in just a few pages and they are intended to be outside the daily lesson plans. You can do the book study over time or focus on it in one week. So it is very flexible. The only one that has a daily study related to it is Trumpet of the Swan.

I would not be hestitant to substitute some books meant more for boys since the book studies are not all that extensive. Boys tend to like action and adventure (and so does my DD), so maybe the Chronicles or Narnia or The Incredible Journey. LLATL also focuses around other books Like Mr. Popper's Penguins. Maybe you could use one of those?

I think it is a weakness of the program that it doesn't require more reading but I think it is also a good compromise for these non-readers because it offers good poetry selections and excerpts. We haven't done much poetry study so I feel like this will work for us. And keep us on-track with reading a few book slightly above her reading level.

I'm giving her a lot books to read that are below her level and making sure that she hears a lot of audio books or that I'm reading to her. And having a required built-in school time for reading. I'm hoping that someday she'll love literature and "good" books. She does read, it's just not classics or anything that I suggest. She likes mysteries and humour.

And I also made a deal with her that I would read any book that I assign with her. That seems to help motivate her because then we have a book club discussion. She enjoys that and feels like I have accountability to choose interesting books.

We're doing SOTW for history. You might try REAL Science. It's mostly hands-on.

Edited by jannylynn

Thanks for the reply! Are most of the levels on grade level? I mean, 5th grade is the purple book, but could I use another book and still get "about" 5th grade assignments from it? Also, are there daily plans or do you have to decide where to stop each day on your own?

I felt that it is below grade level when I looked at the scope and reading suggestions. DS7 is in 1st but is using the second grade level.

I debated about getting her the 4th grade level because she is still in 4th. However, I felt the 5th grade scope was appropriate for where she left off last fall. It does have a lot of grammar built in but I didn't feel like that was extensive enough. So if he likes Abeka Grammar, I suggest that you continue that and use LLATL as a supplement. And I don't care for the spelling portion of the work. She does it anyway even though I said she can skip it since we use Spelling Power. A lesson probably takes 15-30 minutes per day and she reads her assigned book for about 30-45 minutes per day.

It's very well layed out. Each lesson has 5 parts and a review if they need it. It's pretty open and go.

I've also been intrigued by CLE. So you might see if someone can comment a bit more on that and compare the programs. I picked LLATL because it also fit for my DS7 who is using the red level and I just needed something to get us going.

Thank you for taking the time to respond. I think it does look slightly below grade level. I'm hoping someone will reply about CLE, CLP, and Calvert 5. I do like the layout of LLATL and it would probably work fine alongside Abeka grammar. Thanks for the help!