Menu

Latin for a 5th Grader? Where to start?

Daisy

If you were going to start a 5th grader (1oyo girl) in Latin for the very first time what curriculum would you choose?

She is bright, great reader, strong grasp of English grammar (doing R&S English 5 now), and generally does not struggle with Language Arts. She also WANTS to learn Latin so she is motivated.

??

I use Lively Latin with my ds#2, beginning when he was 10yo. We've now finished lesson 2 of LL2. We work on 1 page or reading every school day. It takes 10-30 minutes daily, depending on what the assignment is that day. Ds#2 likes the variety of the assignments in LL. I'm amazed at how much Latin ds#2 has learned, really learned. We do read the history readings, but do not do the history notebook pages. Oral narration is more our style. A bright student could do LL independently, but as it takes us so little time daily, I like to do Latin together. My older dc are using SYRWTL Latin & Latin Prep. I like those books, too, & plan for ds#2 to use them after finishing LL2, but for a 10yo I prefer LL. LP gets really hard after lesson 3. LL's difficultly increases more gradually. I see our Latin studies as a journey, not a race. Slow & steady works best for us.

JMHO,

At the least, I think you need to do it twice a week. I am doing each Latin Prep book over two years at present. Each boy does about two exercises a week, taking about half an hour each time. I think that doubling that would lead to better retention, but Latin is not our highest priority at present. In addition to the exercises, both boys do memorisation - probably between 30 and 60 minutes a week.

Laura

If she hasn't had any Latin I would start with the first book of the curriculum.

You you decide on using the Latina Christiana I would start with LC 1. I wouldn't jump into First Form. LC 1 is absolutely fine for a 5th grader. My 6th grader is doing LC 1 right now and its a nice gentle approach and she is doing just fine with it.

If you decide on Latin for Children I would start with A.

If you decide on Lively Latin go with the 1st book.

I just read an article from Memoria Press and I agree with one of their statements. Learning Latin is like exercise , you start slow and work your way up. If you start to fast you will burn out and never finish.