Menu

Can you PLEASE help us think of a small, cuddly pet for dd10?

How allergic is your dh to cats? My husband has a mild cat allergy, but we have three cats. He takes allergy medication anyhow for other allergies, and that takes care of any effects from the cats. The quality of life the cats give us is really amazing and worth it, he says.

I'm really, really sorry you have had such a bad experience with your bunny. You are right, there are a lot of things to know before getting a type of pet that is new to you.

BUT....litter training her has been less than successful. Rabbits can pee outside of the cage while firmly inside. .

Litter training a rabbit is a crap shoot. If someone told you that they are like cats, they were telling fibs. There are some rabbits that take to it and many who do not. Very few rabbits will care where they poop, even the trained ones. There are some types of cages that have urine guards. Males tend to be messier then females.

She has tooth problems than need to be fixed by a vet every couple months at $80 a pop.

Any rabbit that needs a vet to fix it's teeth regularly has a genetic defect. This defect is easy to avoid IF you know what to look for. A reputable breeder would never sell a rabbit with this tooth defect. Anyone who is looking for a pet rabbit needs to check the internet or a book so they know what the teeth should look like before they buy.

I have NEVER heard of a rabbit living 15 years. It's usually more like 6-8, maybe 10 years.

There are a lot of more commonly found small breeds of rabbits like mini rex or mini lop (cute!!) lionhead are little and poofier. :lol:

I would get rabbits or rats.

The only thing is, you'll want to get a rabbit fixed otherwise they are more freaky and crabby.

http://www.rabbit.org/

Edited by Sis

Just putting my chime in here for rabbits. We have a mini Rex (all that's left after various tragedies with 3 other rabbits) and he runs wild outside, and runs up to us to be cuddled when we go out there.

We have had lops before and they were gorgeous and the previous owners supposedly housetrained them, but we didnt find it an acceptable level of housetraining!

The pros of rabbits are they can be amazingly friendly and sociable. I never had them as a kid and was really suprised how friendly ours were, and how they would come up to us. I think I will have a rabbit even after the kids leave home- I really love them as a pet.

The negatives are that with small children they can be scratchy and difficult unless they have been well handled and "broken in" by older people. They also poo- a lot. But it doesn't smell too bad and it's easy to clean. I once took one of ours to the vet and it cost an absolute fortune and she died anyway. But most pets cost a fortune to take to the vet, anyway. We dont go unless its serious.