Menu

Arabic resources from Fine Media

Rosie_0801

Are all resources around made using Modern Standard?

I think so, but I've never actually watched this. I used to know someone who watched a show called Baba Mishmish or something. My husband bought a CD that was supposed to be Arabic songs that really consists of a lady with a very thick Egyptian accent singing, "Eet's a small warlid afterrr all, eet's a small warlid afterrr all," in a very endearing way, and lots of other English songs. I have one called "The White Cat." It's a very melodramatic cartoon about a kitten looking for its mother, escaping one disaster after the next. It goes on forever. We only suffered through one setting.

I am sure someone else knows more than I. Maybe Kate?

The website you linked isn't opening for me (it's saying currently unavailable), so I don't know *exactly* what you're looking at, but we have some movies/dvds that are produced by Fine Media and they are in Modern Standard. I'll try accessing the site again later; we have several of their titles, if there is a specific one you are thinking of? I think they also produce Arabian Sinbad, which I have not used myself but I've seen it discussed on other lists I'm on...

It's funny, we get a lot of Arabic cartoons here on the regular tv and dh and I generally encourage the kids to watch whatever they want. It can be a mix of dialects, although usually Modern Standard; but a couple days ago one was on and it was such a thick Egyptian accent it was startling. I'm used to hearing the Egyptian accent with dramas and such, not so much with the cartoons.

Yup, it was the Sinbad I was looking at on the site. Not that it matters now, but I'm just pondering for the future. I don't suppose it would be good as new language learners to be watching Egyptian stuff if they're studying Modern Standard at school. But I don't know. Maybe it'd be good for them?

Rosie

Yes! I heard about Little Pim last week, and emailed the author and told her to let us know if she ever makes one in classically pronounced Latin, heheh. I have heard a couple of good reports about it, and will get it for the kiddies for Christmas before dd starts Arabic in grade one. I won't get it now. We've got two languages to work on now, and I'd like to leave a lengthy gap between starting Latin and Arabic. We're starting Latin in K or maybe even pre-K depending how her English and Auslan develop because dh has a thing about it :)

Rosie

• 1 month later...

However, there is something about cartoon Arabic that I find very hard to understand. It's very...well, high pitched and squeaky!
Lol, I have the same problem, but it isn't just squeakiness, it's something about cartoon voices in general, which are usually extreme. I mean, the boys like to watch cartoons like Yu-Gi-Oh and Spider Riders, and I have a hard time understanding the villains sometimes -- it's like over-dramatic, scratchy voices or something, and they talk really really fast. So I have to ask the boys to translate for me sometimes :blink:

The sounds of "Sindibad 'Arabi" and friends reminded me very much of that "White Cat" movie -- but in that one, the kitten was scared and looking for its mother (for...episode after episode) so the terrified squeak was irritating but thematically appropriate. Ah well....

They recently opened a new (the new?) Chipmunks movie in theaters here.. I shudder to think, lol...

(I think it has Arabic subtitles though, not dubbed)

We haven't seen it, but the kids have gotten talking toys in their Happy Meals. I think they were speaking in English, but even then we had to pass them all around and have a group discussion on what we thought they were saying.