Menu

Windows to the World: An Introduction to Literary Analysis

I actually just picked this up from a homeschool book fair last weekend. It is new and IEW sells it. It looks really good. I am planning on starting this in the fall with my dd. I am really excited about it. The author is the same as the one for the elegant essay that IEW sells. If you have any more questions, I will try to answer them as best I can.

HTH!

I actually just picked this up from a homeschool book fair last weekend. It is new and IEW sells it. It looks really good. I am planning on starting this in the fall with my dd. I am really excited about it. The author is the same as the one for the elegant essay that IEW sells. If you have any more questions, I will try to answer them as best I can.

HTH!

How many pieces or stories does this book include? Do you feel if you used just this book and didn't add longer works, would it still be a full course? I am sure I will have more questions! :)

It is designed to be a semester course. It can also be extended over a year by adding additional stories and projects as suggested in the teachers manual.

It says in the teacher guide, Students who complete Windows on the World might also look into preparing for the Advanced Placement English Literature and Compostion or English Language and Composition exams sponsored by the College Board. The author says she has taught this course as a stepping stone to one of the AP exams.

As for whether it is a full course, I am not sure how to answer that. I am new to all of this. Next year my dd will be in 9th grade and this is my first time through high school. I'm still trying to figure out just exactly what constitutes a Literature credit. Maybe someone with more experience has the book and can chime in here.

I am thinking if you used this for a semester just as written not adding anything to it, it could count as 1/2 credit in Literature. Does this answer your question?

If you have any more questions, please ask away.

Blessings!

It is designed to be a semester course. It can also be extended over a year by adding additional stories and projects as suggested in the teachers manual.

It says in the teacher guide, Students who complete Windows on the World might also look into preparing for the Advanced Placement English Literature and Compostion or English Language and Composition exams sponsored by the College Board. The author says she has taught this course as a stepping stone to one of the AP exams.

As for whether it is a full course, I am not sure how to answer that. I am new to all of this. Next year my dd will be in 9th grade and this is my first time through high school. I'm still trying to figure out just exactly what constitutes a Literature credit. Maybe someone with more experience has the book and can chime in here.

I am thinking if you used this for a semester just as written not adding anything to it, it could count as 1/2 credit in Literature. Does this answer your question?

If you have any more questions, please ask away.

Blessings!

I had a question on this. . .

Does it incorporate fulls works? Or excerpts? (Maybe I missed that when I breezed over the description last night.)

, he could do Shakespeare from Lightning Lit

That's my other choice and I was trying to decide between comedies or Tragedies, or I guess get both guides and do a few from each. Or just do a full year of Shakespeare and not Windows on the World. I was also looking at Teaching the Classics....too many choices! LOL

Uh, oh...great minds think alike! I've got Teaching the Classics, and I was a literature major in college (Classics), but it just seems too difficult for me to wrap my brain around...that's why I'm leaning towards Lightning Lit...and save Windows for another year, maybe...especially if I'm doing some of the extra literature suggestions from Trisms (but I might not)...decisions, decisions!

Does it help you to analyze the stories & poems. Is it comprehensive to use? I need something that is comprehensive. I am just learning this stuff myself. lol.

Thanks!

Hi! I'm thinking that you are asking about Perrine's book, so I'll try to give some information about it. The book is divided up by genres (short stories, poems, plays, etc.). Then the student learns about plot, character theme under the short story section, symbolism and figurative language under the poetry section and so forth. The student will read the story or poem or work of nonfiction (essay) and then answers questions about his reading. Most of the questions are analysis type ones.

Here's an example:

For some reason my son really liked "The Destructors" by Graham Greene, so I'll give a few questions from that section. This is a story that the student is studying "plot" so many of the questions focus on "plot".

1. Who is the protagonist in this story --- Trevor, Blackie, or the gang? Who or what is the antagonist/ Identify the conflicts of the story.

2. How is suspense created?

3. This story uses the most common basic formula of commercial fiction: protagonist aims at a goal, is confronted with various obstacles between himself and his goal, overcomes the obstacles and acieves his goal. Comment on the differences. Does the story have a happy ending?

(p. 63)

Now I have an old used copy of this book (1974), and I don't have a teacher's manual. So that required me to read the story and answer the questions too. I'm not sure if I got all the answers right, but I do think this book helped my son begin to do literature analysis. I used this book last year during his senior year. This year at college, my ds has come across some of the same stories that he had read in Literature: Structure, Sound, and Sense in his literature classes. Even though my ds groaned about every time we sat down to discuss the lit from this book, it has paid off in the long run this year at college.

If you have any more questions I will try to answer them. I saw that in the IEW book that there were some similar stories and poems being analyzed, so it would be a good companion to Perrine's textbook.

I do have one thing that I dislike about Perrine's book: There are some touchy -- feely type questions asked. We would skip those.

• 1 year later...
  • 1 year later...
Did you end up ordering this? I did, and from looking it over am very pleased. Dd will be able to learn this mostly on her own & it really teaches her, unlike the other lit program I sold last month.

I did. We enjoyed it and I found it a very solid program. I would use it again

I use this over and over every yr, applying it to different books.

I'm writing lesson plans over the summer for my English co-op class. I'm using the theme and conflict sections with The Scarlet Letter, the imagery section with a unit of poetry, the plot portion with various short stories and the character section with Great Expectations. It's the best money I've ever spent on homeschool curriculum.