Menu

Loving Deconstructing Penguins here

christine in al

just a bit of a rave about DP. I am getting how to talk about Literature.

I borrowed Teaching the Classics, and it looks really good and thorough, but it's a lot to digest here at mid year. DP is so easy to read and understand and I'll start off Jan. with literature studies that have been missing. ( 2nd and 4th here)

If you are looking for a beginning place for talking about lit. I think it's great.

I've asked so many questions lately, I thought I'd share something that's working here.

~Christine in al

Yes! I'm reading Decon Penguins right now as well. I also am almost through w/ Teaching the Classics DVDs. NExt up is reading Reading Strands. :lol: We will do Babe: The Gallant Pig next and discuss as in DP as well as make a story chart from TtC. Isn't it fun learning all this cool stuff and seeing books in a new light? :001_smile:

learning Rocks.

We too are doing Babe in Jan. We are all three going to do it so we can get experience with the analysis.

Last night I read " A Door in teh Wall" to go along with History Odessey ( sp?) And followed my husband around this AM talking about protaganists and antagonist and setting..

I have a copy of the syllabus for TtC. I get the chart but don't quite " think " in it yet.

Have you found TtC videos to be really really helpful? ( aside.. I wish he didn't use sexist language)

I am trying to think about the costs as the fee for attending a conference. Does it realy make all clear?

Christine in al

HHmm I don't recall any sexist language. After watching Andrews do the chart several times, I actually think in the chart now. For me being a visual person, the DVDs were worth it - but I bought them used. There is a thread here from about a month ago asking if DVDs were worth it and several of us chimed in, if you haven't read it already.

Our best time was listening to Adam Andrews read A Bargain for Francis by Hoban. We then spent an hour doing the story chart and my kids (6 and 9) were really engaged. The best part was that my 6yr old actually understood about their being a couple of conflicts each w/ it's own climax. We'll add in DPs extensive discussion of protagonist/antagonist to our TtC discussions. You can really get a lot out of TtC by doing simple picture books (well the good ones lol) using the Story Chart before moving onto more complicated and longer books. He's also big on the kids giving evidence for their supposition from the story which I like.

Capt_Uhura

For these young elementary aged students, you might also enjoy these literature resources:

- Story Elements = http://www.rainbowresource.com/searc...8919819-509568

Reproducible resource for learning basic literary elements with exercises and examples.

- Using Picture Books to Teach Literary Devices (Hall) = http://www.amazon.com

Secular. There are several volumes.

- Heart of Dakota = http://www.heartofdakota.com/

Christian. Complete program with the reading portion including genre studies, guided literature discussions, and story element lessons.

Yes! I'm reading Decon Penguins right now as well. I also am almost through w/ Teaching the Classics DVDs. NExt up is reading Reading Strands. :lol: We will do Babe: The Gallant Pig next and discuss as in DP as well as make a story chart from TtC. Isn't it fun learning all this cool stuff and seeing books in a new light? :001_smile:

Hijacking to say I'd love to read a review of all three (DP, TTC and RS) after you read Reading Strands. :D

you know.. From teh South we want to know who your people are.. And they do share the same last name.:001_smile:

I haven't been attracted to Reading Stands because of my dislike of Writing Strands. I ususally love scripted programs, but Writing Strands left us out in the cold because ds didn't answer on script and I was lost.

Are they related?

~c.