Menu

Recorders - Information? Alto? Soprano?

Hi,

I'm looking for a small musical instrument to take on camping trips. Recorders look like a good possibility but I don't know anything about them. What are some things to consider? What are the reasons one would choose either the alto or soprano recorder?

Thanks for your help!

If you are new to recorders I would suggest a soprano recorder. It is smaller and fits most people's hands and most of the music is written for soprano recorders (and not alto ones).

It is also easier to find "Learn to Play Recorder" books for soprano recorders. Most learn to play recorder books for alto assume that you can already play soprano and are looking to move around.

My daughter loves her recorder and is very happy with the music out there for it.

Several years ago, a couple of the kids for whom I nannied took Suzuki recorder lessons from a local woman. Since their mother didn't have time for lessons (and Suzuki method depends upon a parent in the household knowing the instrument and practicing with the kids), I eventually enrolled in lessons, too. I am hoping to enroll dd in lessons with me next year.

You want to start with a Soprano recorder. The cost is relatively cheap, and they are not very big to haul around. Alto recorders are a little bigger.

Our teacher required an Aulos Soprano Recorder:

http://www.amazon.com/Aulos-Soprano-Recorder-English-Fingering/dp/B0002E55XQ

Your local music store should have these on hand or be able to order them for you. Our teacher said that the Aulos has a better sound than other brands, and, as you can see from the price, it is very reasonable. I paid a little more for mine, but still <$10.

Alto recorders are one size bigger and have a range of a little bit lower/deeper. I read online that adults usually play alto recorders.

Here was our beginner recorder book:

Suzuki Level I (also may be ordered from your local music store)

http://www.amazon.com/Alfred-Publishing-00-0561S-Suzuki-Recorder/dp/B001OTCLPS/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&s=musical-instruments&qid=1260991259&sr=1-1

Level II Suzuki uses the upper octive (starting at high E) for songs. I don't recommend it for a beginner since you need to master a quirky technique with your thumb to make the higher notes. I thought I'd never figure it out! and others I know have quit taking lessons at that point.

I also have an Usborne beginner book ("Easy Recorder Tunes") with a blue cover, but I can't find it for sale right now. Do not confuse this with Usborne's "Recorder Tunes for Children" (which also uses the upper octive).

I'm sure that your local music store may have other beginner books to recommend, or perhaps others here do, too.

--Laura in Iowa

P.S. Don't play your recorders right after eating; if you get food particles in your recorder, you'll never get them out, and it alters the tone of the recorder.

Guest Virginia Dawn

I just bought a plastic yamaha soprano recorder from amazon last week. It was a "300 series" and had great reviews. I think it was about $15. It came in a canvas zippered case with a fingering chart.

Hand size. If the child is very small, a sopranino is good. Altos are more expensive, too. If you are a musical family, I'd start by giving them to your children, teaching them the fingerings up and down the scale (only a few tricky places) and then have them work out how to play Frere Jaques and other rounds by ear. Then they can play rounds. I've found that paper music and camping don't always mix well. It seems to work better to get the children playing by ear as quickly as possible. Then they can take the recorder up a tree with them or out into the lake on an inner tube. We tied strings on ours so they could be slung around the neck and not get dropped in the water. If you aren't a musical family, then you probably want to start with a book. I'd try to get a video that shows how to play. There is probably one on Youtube. Make sure your children play by ear as well as with the music. You can play games where you sit in a circle and one person plays a note and the next plays the same note and adds one, etc. Or you can play copy cat with two people. Anybody too little can have two sticks to bang together in rythm so they can join in. Or you can tape over the holes and have them play a drone. Sweet Pipes makes good recorder books in various levels. I taught my youngest using the children's book, but my older child used the adult book, which moves faster. My older boy was happier playing an alto recorder, too, when he got older. Another traditional camping instrument is a ukelele. You can add cool rythm with a jaw harp, too. Harmonicas are also good.

-Nan