Menu

HELP!!! Wilton candy melts question...

If you have a fondue pot....works great.

Be sure to keep ALL did I say ALLLLLLLL water or grease away from them. Even too much handling by damp or greasy hands can cause them to seize. Be sure that the pan is spotless clean and dry.

Or....give up on Wilton and buy Almond Bark in the baking aisle and use Wilton cake/candy colors to achieve the color you want. There are a few other brands of candy melts besides Wilton, cant' think of them off hand, but they are typically harder to find and only slightly less picky.

I have never ever had Almond Bark seize on me. I heat it in the fondue pot, do what I need with it, leave the leftover in the pot covered in foil and reuse it the next day. Wilton, if you heat more than you need it's waste because it won't remelt properly.

I love Wilton products....DH teases that we should have bought stock in their company decades ago when I started the cake/candy craze that never ends. I have probably 100 shaped cake pans from them. But their food products, except for their cake colors, is crap. Their meringue powder (used to make royal icing to make those beautiful hard flowers) is junk, their premade frosting is so sickening sweet that even the KIDS think it's too sweet. Skip their food, go for their pans and other hardware!

Well, I think I'll try the crock pot and see how that works.

I'm only using them because someone brought down several bags for a wedding and didn't use them, so they gave them to me. Chocolate chips are about $6 a bag here and almond bark is non-exsistent. So, I have no other options, unfortunately. I've never worked with Wilton before and they really are temperamental little buggers.:glare:

Only because it is possible to get water in the chocolate from the steam, and that will make the chocolate seize up and be hard. Obviously it can work just fine (I've used double boilers plenty of times!), but they're not the best option because they can mess up the chocolate, especially tempermental stuff like Wilton's melt.