Menu

Kindle battery question

I'm looking at buying a Kindle or a Nook. Right now I like that the Kindle has been out longer. I don't need the "book lending" feature of the Nook and now that Kindle can do PDF's with drag and drop that's not an issue anymore.

My big question is the battery. The Nook has a new battery you can buy and replace yourself, it's something like 20-30 dollars. How much is a Kindle battery if you have to replace it? I've heard you have to send it in for this to be done is that true?

Sorry, I have no idea about this but I thought I'd respond to bump it back up. I will say that if you leave the wireless off when you don't need it, a battery charge lasts for about a week. It's huge. It's about 3 days with the wireless on. I have not noticed any talk about the batteries for the older, 1st generation Kindle either. Maybe battery replacement isn't something run into for a long time?

I've just been reading that the batteries only last a year and then won't hold a charge and that it's $80 to send it in for replacement.
That seems surprising to me. Let's be pessimistic and assume that the Kindle only holds a charge for about 1/2 a week. That would mean that it would get recharged about 100 times each year. That is less than 1/3 as many recharges as a typical cell phone gets in a year, and cell phone batteries often last for three years or longer. As such, I wouldn't be surprised to see Kindle batteries lasting five years or more.

OTOH, if real users are reporting only a one-year life, then I can't argue with that. Poor charging techniques, etc. can destroy a battery very prematurely.

I agree that having a user-replaceable battery in the nook is a nice selling feature!

I've had my Kindle for a year and a half, or longer. My charge holds for more than a week when reading daily. I've never had a battery issue and it always charges quickly.

I left it in the car for a couple of weeks half charged and I read for 6 hours on a trip and it still had a little charge when I arrived!

I've had my Kindle for a year and I know if I leave the wireless off, the charge lasts for weeks. I know I charged mine 2 weeks ago and I just checked the battery and it is only down about a quarter and I read for a couple of hours each night before bed.

This is the first time I've heard anything about battery issues.