Menu

Facebook privacy heads-up

Facebook recently changed the way privacy settings work. I was browsing some friends of friends, and I can see lots more of their information than I could a few days ago. I'm guessing people don't realize that their information is more public than they intended.

Just thought Facebook users might want to double check their settings...

When the new privacy stuff popped up the other day, I set everything so that only "friends" can see it. The people on my friends list I trust with info like my address, but who knows who they are friends with?

Mine is now showing "pages" and "groups", and I can't figure out how to change it back.

Also, one of my photo albums that was previously set only to friends somehow became public. Strange.

Don't just check the Profile settings under Privacy, but also go to Search (i.e., Settings > Privacy Settings > Search). You want to make sure it doesn't say "Everyone" there (this isn't just everyone on FB but everyone on the Internet!) and that the Allow Indexing box is unchecked. This is if you're after strict privacy settings -- if you're not, no worries!

Mine is now showing "pages" and "groups", and I can't figure out how to change it back.

Also, one of my photo albums that was previously set only to friends somehow became public. Strange.

Everyone being able to see your Pages is standard now (can't be changed), but you should be able to limit who can see what Groups you're a part of on the Privacy Settings page. Groups must be part of one of the categories there.

You can also limit the people who can see who your friends are by clicking the Pencil icon in that area (under your picture on your profile page) and changing that setting.

Edited by milovaný