Menu

Help! I need an easy Spanish food to share!

The situation:

Kids' Spanish class fiesta day at co-op class on Monday, they are to bring a Spanish food to share.

DH having surgery Monday morning, kids will be overnighting Sunday at a relative's house.

I need a suggestion for something that can be prepared Sunday, then served cold or room temperature on Monday early afternoon. Aunt & Uncle are delivering kids (and food!) to class.

FWIW, the kids would be disappointed to have to bring chips and salsa, though that is a last-ditch option. I don't want them to feel like they are copping out unless no other good option presents itself.

I am hoping those of you who are familiar with traditional Spanish fare will have a great idea for us! All suggestions appreciated, thanks!

Are you looking for something Spanish or Mexican? Or either one?

For Mexican there are lots of great options that are portable:

tacos-put the meat in the bottom of a crockpot and wrap the tortillas in foil and put them in the top of the crockpot

tamales, mexican rice or chile rellenos could be easily kept warm in a crockpot

flan

Spanish is something different. For this, I would bring tapas-olives, baked mushrooms, fried peppers, sliced chorizo, bread, calamari (if you have adventurous eaters), Spanish omelet, there are tons of options.

Guava and cheese turn overs.

It's like a regular turn over using puff pastry and you just use cream cheese and guava paste as a filling. It's the one thing I really miss about Miami ... all that cuban food!

My best friend's dad is from Cuba. She taught me to make tostones, black beans and arroz con pollo. YUM!

We're doing the first level of La Clase Divertida, which focuses on Mexico. A recent cooking project was galletas de bodas (mexican wedding cakes - basically cookies). You could bake them ahead of time. They also did a variation, galletas de la bandera mexicana, with the same dough recipe colored using green food coloring, red food coloring, and leaving some white, which then matches the colors of the flag of Mexico. There are many recipes for them on the internet. I wasn't too impressed with the recipe that came with La Clase Divertida - too dry to properly form cookies.

Erica in OR

My best friend's dad is from Cuba. She taught me to make tostones, black beans and arroz con pollo. YUM!

:drool: I really miss the guava and cheese turn overs and I really miss the steak sandwiches and I really miss the little coffee shops on every corner and I really miss ... aww man :drool:

Are you looking for something Spanish or Mexican? Or either one?

For Mexican there are lots of great options that are portable:

tacos-put the meat in the bottom of a crockpot and wrap the tortillas in foil and put them in the top of the crockpot

tamales, mexican rice or chile rellenos could be easily kept warm in a crockpot

flan

Spanish is something different. For this, I would bring tapas-olives, baked mushrooms, fried peppers, sliced chorizo, bread, calamari (if you have adventurous eaters), Spanish omelet, there are tons of options.

I agree, Spanish food means from Spain. Spanish omelette, or tortilla española, is just potato omelette, it is easy and can be enjoyed hot or cold. Other easy cold choices would be olives or chorizo (not the same as Mexican chorizo), even jamón serrano (similar to Italian prosciuto) with some good crusty bread (like French bread). Flan is originally from Spain, so you could make that and cover all your bases! Have fun!

:drool: I really miss the guava and cheese turn overs and I really miss the steak sandwiches and I really miss the little coffee shops on every corner and I really miss ... aww man :drool:

truly pressed Cuban sandwiches... cafe con leche....

Thanks for all the suggestions! Everything sounds terrific and delicious.

At their level, I don't think they have to be too discriminating between Spanish and Mexican, though I realize there is a difference. If DH wasn't having surgery, I'd cook up a batch of paella.

However, I think I will go with Mrs. Mungo's suggestion for tacos wrapped in foil. I can make those Sunday, put them in the crock pot, and send them with Aunt when they go over. They can plug in the crock pot when they arrive at co-op and they'll be warm in time for Spanish class. I can send a jar of salsa for dipping.

Thanks, everyone! I was too flustered to think on my own and I appreciate your help.