Menu

S/O of Knitting (Continental or English)

My dd7 wants to learn to knit. I can crochet but haven't knitted in quite a while. Which method would be best for a child? Can you point me to some resources (print or youtube)?

I bought her some wool yarn and a pair of size 10 (short) knitting needles for Christmas. She is starting to master the knifty knitter and wants to move on to something else.

Any opinions on crochet for a 7 year old? I was thinking that crochet would be more difficult for her age. What do you think?

Thanks,

Paula

Dd (7 at the time)- learned to knit with the Klutz book on knitting. (Okay, I'll be honest. I learned by reading this book, too.) The photos and instructions are very clear and easy to understand. They teach using the English method, but I believe that somewhere in the book, they briefly mention Continental. I think that it's easier to *see* each of the steps involved with English knitting, while the steps sort of flow together with Continental. So it might be better to start off English, so that she can see just how the knots are made, then progress to Continental when she is ready for speedier knitting. Does that make sense?

-Robin

My 10 yo DD has tried both, but she thinks Continental is easier. My friend taught her English because it is supposed to be easier for children, but at the time, I only knew Continental, and so that was all I could help her with. I think English might be easier because children tend to put the yarn down in between stitches, but it really depends on the child.

Having said all that, I really think it is easier to teach crochet. My 6 yo DD can crochet already, and it is a great way to work on hand-eye coordination.

I really like the Visual Guide series or the I Can't Believe I'm series for teaching the concepts, and my local library had some kids' knitting books that I also found helpful. YouTube has clips about almost any stitch or concept after that, and KnitPicks.com also has some neat information in their Knitting Community section.

Best wishes!

Edited by Asenik