Menu

historical mysteries recommendations

Me again, looking for more book recommendations. I have Christmas gifts for the nieces and nephew all sorted out--it's time to move on to the parents! My sister-in-law likes mysteries, her favorites being Dorothy Sayer's Lord Peter books and the Brother Cadfael series. I was thinking of getting her one of Victoria Thompson's Gaslight Mysteries, but aside from that, I'm stumped! Any thoughts?

Oh, I think she would really enjoy the Dame Frevisse Medieval Mysteries series by Margaret Frazer. I have read them all! They center around a Benedictine nun, her abbey and, of course, the murders and mishaps that occur in and around there.

They do not need to be read in order and all have some historical references, including a cousin (?) of Dame Frevisse...none other than Geoffrey Chaucer! Just an occasional mention here and there, but interesting. You might have to hunt around to find certain titles, but Half-Price Books has been a good place to try.

Titles:

1.The Novice's Tale (1992)

2.The Servant's Tale (1993)*

3.The Outlaw's Tale (1994)

4.The Bishop's Tale (1994)*

5.The Boy's Tale (1995)

6.The Murderer's Tale (1996)

7.The Prioress' Tale (1997)*

8.The Maiden's Tale (1998)*

9.The Reeve's Tale (1999)*

10.The Squire's Tale (2000)

11.The Clerk's Tale (2002)*

12.The Bastard's Tale (2003)

13.The Hunter's Tale (2004)*

14.The Widow's Tale (2005)

15.The Sempster's Tale (2006)*

16.The Traitor's Tale (2007)*

17.The Apostate's Tale (2008)

*My favorites. :)

Another author I really enjoy is Max Allen Collins. His "disaster" mysteries like The London Blitz Murders (with Agatha Christie as a character!), the Titanic Murders and The War of the World Murder are a lot of fun.

Also, Anne Perry has some good series set in Victorian London.

Hi there,

I just read the Mathew Bartholomew Chronicles by Susanna Gregory which are a 15 book Medieval mystery series. It's my favorite genre of book and I loved these. I have also read the Brother Cadfael books and found these to have a similar feel to them. I also loved the fact that she has written 15 for the series and more to come. I always look for books that are a series because I have trouble letting go of characters if I like them.

Sara

Edited by sarawatsonim