Menu

Should I allow my dd (almost 13) to read Picoult's My Sister's Keeper? (CC)

I have a love/hate relationship with Jodi Picoult's books. They are very well written and I can't wait to read them; but I always hate the ending. She really seems to want to surprise you with the ending; and for me, at least, it's always a shocker. It's like a train wreck that I can't help looking at. I know I'm going to feel depressed at the end, but I can't help reading them anyway. :confused:

All that to say, if you feel that your DD can handle the content and will use good judgement if it steps out of line, let her read it. I can't think of anything particularly objectionable, but it's been a while since I've read it. If she has seen the movie, she shouldn't expect the book to end the same way. It doesn't.

There are several pretty mature themes in this book that I'd at least want to be prepared for if my daughter were reading it. The parent's relationships with each other and with their children are pretty intense. Also, the fact that the second daughter was born specifically to be a donor for the first. It's not a light subject book and has a ton of ethical and moral issues that spin off. Plus the ending... well, it's no less upsetting than the general subject of the book.

If it were me, I'd make time to read the book or ask my daughter to wait and read it later.

I enjoyed the book, but if I am remembering correctly, there were some secondary characters with adult, mature themed relational issues (the lawyer and his female friend -- didn't they have a previous s**ual relationship that was explored in this book?).

It was a good book, but I felt like she could've told the story without that character development issue in it.

I would let her. I think it is a great book for discussion, and I think it is quite appropriate for a mature 13 yr old.

The only problem with Jodi Picoult's novels (which drives me nuts), is that she writes good books, and then totally ruins them at the end by doing these random things that usually involve killing off main characters. They're just really terrible endings, in terms of writing.

I just finished this book last week. Personally, I wouldn't let a 13 yo [Christian] read it. Why fill her mind with very secular adult situations, blatant crime, and bad language. My 2 cents though. To each his own. :D

That said, it was indeed a good read, but not a favorite. Painfully sad ending. :tongue_smilie:

and I am not going to let her read it. But this is mostly due to the language some of the characters use, the situations some of them are in, etc. I think in a couple of years it will be fine. The "question" of having a child to support your sick child is a very profound one, buut I think we will just discuss this question together.

Thanks for the input!

jeri