Menu

What format do you follow in SOTW?

SOTW 3 here--rather loosey-goosey, but generally, I read a section of the chapter, ask dd the questions, then we do the mapwork--usually the same day. Sometimes she will do the coloring page while I read, but she's 9, and that's really just busy work. Sometimes we wait on the mapwork until all the sections are read.

Another day we will do a narration or a project or both. We read an accompanying book as our read aloud during another time of the day, taking as long as we need to complete it, even if we have moved on in SOTW (we shoot for a chapter a week in SOTW, sometimes fitting in two if we don't do the activities or read a supplemental book). We finish any other parts of the chapter the rest of the week.

We usually do history 3 times a week, but that can change if we want to add another activity or shoehorn in another chapter; this doesn't include the read aloud, which we do every day until finished.

That can't possibly be considered more organized, can it? lol:D

SOTW 3 here--rather loosey-goosey, but generally, I read a section of the chapter, ask dd the questions, then we do the mapwork--usually the same day. Sometimes she will do the coloring page while I read, but she's 9, and that's really just busy work. Sometimes we wait on the mapwork until all the sections are read.

Another day we will do a narration or a project or both. We read an accompanying book as our read aloud during another time of the day, taking as long as we need to complete it, even if we have moved on in SOTW (we shoot for a chapter a week in SOTW, sometimes fitting in two if we don't do the activities or read a supplemental book). We finish any other parts of the chapter the rest of the week.

We usually do history 3 times a week, but that can change if we want to add another activity or shoehorn in another chapter; this doesn't include the read aloud, which we do every day until finished.

That can't possibly be considered more organized, can it? lol:D

We're pretty much the same, but I'm not on SOTW4, so maybe that makes a difference.

We read a section, do the review questions and narratives for that section. If the mapwork matches the section we read, we do the mapwork.

I do at least one of the projects each week, even the ones I hate to do. It makes a difference in retention for the kids.

We check out corresponding books from the library and read those on the days we're not reading directly from SOTW.

We do a chapter a week.

Every 5 chapters, we take a week to review. So for our review week, we re-read a chapter a day for 5 days.

I do a little bit of hx every day. Some weeks I do it only 4 days a week, but I like to do a little each day for retention. What we do on which day depends on the projects. Some projects need to wait until you've read a later section in the chapter. Some projects need to get started on Monday because they'll take longer to complete. On Saturday I get a shopping list of supplies and buy them. On Sunday I decide which day we'll do which reading/project.

That's not too organized either, but it works well for us and is flexible enough if something comes up in the week.