Menu

Christmas countdown ideas needed...

DD3 is asking constantly to open presents and if it is Christmas Party Time. I think she needs a countdown calender. In the past we have done paper chains, marking calenders off, and with the older kids, and advent calenders of various shapes and sizes.

Do you have any more crafty ideas, especially one that a 3yo would understand?

How about spreading out the fun for 12 days prior to Christmas with a gift each day? I've heard of kids going to the 'Christmas Box' each morning to find a new gift. It's amazing how much fun it can be to get a toy from the dollar store.

One of my favorites was when we did this... and the gifts were pieces of a nativity scene. I picked one up a tiny one for under $5. A friend did this with little ornaments for the tree.

We wrap up books equal to the number of days left till Christmas. Then we unwrap 1 book a day and read it. The books left in the basket are days left till Christmas. Sometimes we have an activity to go along with the book as well.

We did this one year and it was a lot of fun. I'd forgotten about it so thank you for reminding me.

We wrap up books equal to the number of days left till Christmas. Then we unwrap 1 book a day and read it. The books left in the basket are days left till Christmas. Sometimes we have an activity to go along with the book as well.

We are doing this as well as the kids made an Advent calendar with a mini muffin tin. It is similar to those chocolate ones you find in store. My kids love the idea, but don't like the chocolate included which is why we made our own this year. They designed 24 2in x 2in squares with numbers on them. Then we put magnetic tape on the back of each square. Then they place one candy in each muffin tin. You could do the same thing with a larger muffin pan for the 12 days of Christmas and then put something in each muffin tin.

It is cute one child has chosen to put the numbers in order and is eating the match day of Dec. The other child has her numbers randomly around the tray and she is eating from the number that tells her how many more days until Christmas.

Jan