Menu

I bought ds9 the snake starter kit....now what?

We'll be getting a baby corn snake sometime before Christmas. I have the right size tank, under tank heater, lights, substrate, dishes, thermometer, place to bask, place to hide. I know it needs frozen mice. What else should I expect? I am not a reptile vet but after this learning experience I may start seeing a whole new clientele! LOL. Any for sure dos and don'ts are welcome advice.

we keep snakes, more or less depending on the time of year....

it sounds like you've got it covered.

(the mice don't need to be frozen, you know ; )... but its easier on the soul that way.

regular handling from the beginning helps them become accustomed to human handling. make sure they feel supported and secure. (ie. its a two hand thing) the two corn snakes we took care of last year for friends loved to go on outings to the backyard where they loved, loved, loved to climb trees. who knew?

have fun!

ann

We'll be getting a baby corn snake sometime before Christmas. I have the right size tank, under tank heater, lights, substrate, dishes, thermometer, place to bask, place to hide. I know it needs frozen mice. What else should I expect? I am not a reptile vet but after this learning experience I may start seeing a whole new clientele! LOL. Any for sure dos and don'ts are welcome advice.

We have corn snakes and you've got a whole lot more than we have. We have tanks with sliding lids, so they absolutely cannot get out of them. (We used to have escapes from the ones with pop on lids--someone would forget to secure them with the clip or something.) We use dog food dishes as both water bowls and hiding places. (The plastic kind that has a bowl and then a rim around the edge, and holes on either end. They are cheap, and the snakes like them just fine. They curl up around the bowl.) We started with substrate and quickly moved to a layer of paper towels in the bottom of the cages. Much easier clean-up. We started out with all the warming stuff, but cornsnakes really don't seem to need it. (The moderate temps of a home seem fine for them.)

Baby snakes are very tricky. Honestly, I'd go for an older one, though it sounds like you've committed to buying it from someone who has a litter hatching. Babies sometimes die for no perceptible reason and it can be hard to get them to eat. Because they're so small, they also escape easily and are incredibly hard to find. We've had broken hearts more than once over baby snakes and I wouldn't do it again. We have some adults you could have!

Her name is Cornelia, but we usually just call her Snakee. Don't really know if it is male or female, but since it is a very pretty snake, I think of it as female. She is all orange, even her tongue and eyes.

Cornelia was just a little skinny ribbon when we got her, she's about 4' long now! She has never shown any sign of aggression, and is easy to hold.

It sounds like you have everything you need. I use the frozen mice too, no way I was going to feed live mice. You will be starting with the pinkie mice, our snake eats adult size now.

Corn snakes are easy to raise, and interesting to watch.

Michelle T

Baby snakes are very tricky. Honestly, I'd go for an older one, though it sounds like you've committed to buying it from someone who has a litter hatching. Babies sometimes die for no perceptible reason and it can be hard to get them to eat. Because they're so small, they also escape easily and are incredibly hard to find. We've had broken hearts more than once over baby snakes and I wouldn't do it again. We have some adults you could have!

I'm guessing they wouldn't ship very well FedEx:lol:. The baby we're getting is at a reptile specialty place and they won't let them go until they are eating really well, so hopefully that will work!

Her name is Cornelia, but we usually just call her Snakee. Don't really know if it is male or female, but since it is a very pretty snake, I think of it as female. She is all orange, even her tongue and eyes.

Cornelia was just a little skinny ribbon when we got her, she's about 4' long now! She has never shown any sign of aggression, and is easy to hold.

It sounds like you have everything you need. I use the frozen mice too, no way I was going to feed live mice. You will be starting with the pinkie mice, our snake eats adult size now.

Corn snakes are easy to raise, and interesting to watch.

Michelle T

Cornelia? Hah! I get it.:D

...how you handle the first, "Mom, the snake's gone!" episode. I remember this with my little bro - he had me looking for his missing snake, ever-so-nonchalantly, under and in everything, while my folks kept asking, "What are you two doing?"

I told ds9 that he has exactly 10 minutes to find any escapee and then the house goes on the market!:lol: