Menu

What kind of new washing machine?

#1: After only 1 1/2 yrs, we had to replace the rubber gasket which dry-rotten and "shredded". The repairman tried to blame me, saying I must have sliced it/cut it. Ummm...the rubber was "SHREDDED"!. NOT a clean cut. Dry rot.

#2: Mildew/mold build up behind. You'll get that with ALL front loaders if you don't either keep the door open btwn washes or use bleach frequently.

#3: Sears customer service is crappy. Period.

#4: Now we have a NASTY smell during the 1st drain and rinse cycle. Still not sure what's causing that.

Okay, that's enough reason! It works fine, but with all these problems, I'll never go w/ another one again. I've heard from several people that the LG's are great.

My 13-year-old washing machine has broken. I'd like a large capacity front-loading machine. What brands should I consider? Any I should definitely avoid? Thanks,

Bonnie

Ok Mine isn't front loading but i LOVE LOVE LOVE my Kenmore Oasis set. Their is no middle pole thing and it washes a HUGE amount of clothing at once. I know these are not cheap but the set has been well worth the money! I can do a family of 6's laundry, plus towels and sheets all in one day. The only negative is you have to have a good few minutes to fold when they come out of the dryer b/c the wash such a large load. AND.. they are energy & water effeciant!

two sets of Miele's and one set of Asko's. (3 washers, 3 dryers.) The Miele's are made in Germany; the Asko's are made in Switzerland. The Asko's are small, but they're 7 years old, so they may make a bigger set now? One of our Miele sets is huge, the other set is the "medium size" stackable. They're all great. I'm in love with the Miele's:)!

Didn't know about keeping the door open and mildew. Thanks.

Yes, this can be a general problem with front-loaders. We had this problem at one time. I read extensively from repairmen and such and gleaned some knowledge on the problem. To help keep it at bay I follow these rules:

1. Use soap made for HE washers, it creates fewer suds and apparently that is key.

2. Don't use too much soap, you don't need as much.

3. I don't use fabric softener (allergies) so I put a little vinegar in the fabric softener cup and some baking soda in the pre-wash cup.

4. About once a month I run a super-hot cycle with no soap and a little bleach.

5. Keep the door open between uses.

We haven't had any smell or mildew or anything since I started this routine. It kind of sounds like a lot of work but it's really not. It honestly gets my clothes SO much cleaner than any other washer I've had.

two sets of Miele's and one set of Asko's. (3 washers, 3 dryers.) The Miele's are made in Germany; the Asko's are made in Switzerland. The Asko's are small, but they're 7 years old, so they may make a bigger set now? One of our Miele sets is huge, the other set is the "medium size" stackable. They're all great. I'm in love with the Miele's:)!

Okay, I'll fall for it. What are you doing with three sets of W/D? I know it can get dusty there, but....

I have been very pleased with our Seimens machine. It's a front loader and had the best reputation among the servicemen we spoke with prior to purchasing it. I had just spent 4.75 years fighting with a lemon of a Maytag toploader and was not about to sink money into another machine that was non-working as often as it was working.

We will always purchase the extended service agreements because our family size puts a greater burden on machines that no longer seem to be built to last.

I also have an LG that I have had for about 4 years now. I love it. I leave the door open between loads so it can really dry out in there, I currently use All HE detergent and 1oz is sufficient for a load. In fact no matter what detergent I use I only use 1oz of liquid or 2tbsp powder and that's more than enough to get our clothes clean (I know many detergent cups say to use more than that but lets face it the company is in it to make money--the more soap the tell you to use the more you have to buy). I only use fabric softener in the winter when my house gets very dry from the heat otherwise we're all big gigantic static balls. In the spring, summer and fall I use white vinegar in the fabric softener cup and nothing in the dryer.

I've never had an issue with my machines since buying them and I move alot. They've been moved to 4 different houses in 3 different states since I got them and they're going strong, even after a trip with a less than carefull mover.

HTH

Ha! I guess it is kind of weird...We just built a house, so the biggest set is in our closet (strange, I know), the medium set is in the 2nd floor laundry, and the Askos are in the downstairs mud room. I have no good and logical answer for having 3 sets. I'm completely and utterly spoiled. If anyone wants to send me their laundry, I'll wash it out of sheer guilt:)