Menu

Ds14 wants to teach himself to play guitar

Hey Chelle! :D

I know St Louis County Library has videos to check out on the subject -- not sure about over in St Chuck. Interlibrary loan, maybe?

Thanks for the tip about the hardware store with the trains. Sounds fun! I think we'll check it out next week!

My pies for Thanksgiving were cranberry-walnut cheesecake, apple, and blueberry. The last two are Dh's faves, and the cheesecake was a new recipe that turned out great! :D

Hope you guys are well! We are finally over flu/mono/colds/2 kinds of strep/ick and everyone in the house is up and moving today. First time in weeks! WooHoo!!!:tongue_smilie:

My DD13 just prints out the guitar music online for songs she wants to learn. She does a search for the song and whatever site she is using for this prints it in "beginner" format with the chords all laid out. When she gets home from shcool I'll ask what site she uses.

She taught herself how to play by hooking up w/ friends and just playing together. Does he have any local friends that would be willing to show him the ropes? I bet there's free YouTube tutorials out there - but I always screen through them 1st b/c YouTube always has such weird content as well.

Hey Chelle! :D

I know St Louis County Library has videos to check out on the subject -- not sure about over in St Chuck. Interlibrary loan, maybe?

Thanks for the tip about the hardware store with the trains. Sounds fun! I think we'll check it out next week!

My pies for Thanksgiving were cranberry-walnut cheesecake, apple, and blueberry. The last two are Dh's faves, and the cheesecake was a new recipe that turned out great! :D

Hope you guys are well! We are finally over flu/mono/colds/2 kinds of strep/ick and everyone in the house is up and moving today. First time in weeks! WooHoo!!!:tongue_smilie:

Thanks, Melissa! Cute dog! I'm sorry to hear you all have been sick. I got something cold/fluish a couple of weeks ago and was so glad no one else got it.

I appreciate the library idea--I hadn't thought of that!

I want some cheesecake! Glad it turned out great!

Have fun at the trains~

Chelle

If he'd like Christian music, I'd recommend getting a CD and instructional book set from Fretboard Fellowship. My son has gotten more out of those books than out of the several others we've tried.

http://www.fretboardfellowship.com/

He loves Christian music, Heather! Thank you for the link--I'll check into it tonight.

Chelle

My DD13 just prints out the guitar music online for songs she wants to learn. She does a search for the song and whatever site she is using for this prints it in "beginner" format with the chords all laid out. When she gets home from shcool I'll ask what site she uses.

She taught herself how to play by hooking up w/ friends and just playing together. Does he have any local friends that would be willing to show him the ropes? I bet there's free YouTube tutorials out there - but I always screen through them 1st b/c YouTube always has such weird content as well.

Another great suggestion! Thanks, arcticmom! I should have figured things like that would be available online.

Chelle

there's a ton of stuff on youtube. for more structured learning there are places like Jamplay.com., rhythmstrummer.com, or truefire.com. those all have fees; jamplay often has free trials. the most amazing source of free lessons can be found at justinguitar.com. there's usually a link on justinguitar for a free trial at jamplay, btw.

logo.gif

http://justinguitar.com/

there's a ton of stuff on youtube. for more structured learning there are places like Jamplay.com., rhythmstrummer.com, or truefire.com. those all have fees; jamplay often has free trials. the most amazing source of free lessons can be found at justinguitar.com. there's usually a link on justinguitar for a free trial at jamplay, btw.

logo.gif

http://justinguitar.com/

Thank you, Deirdre! That's awesome info!

Chelle

Wow, there's alot more out there than I realized! That free lesson site looks great; thanks for sharing.

My dd says the site she uses is http://www.ultimate-guitar.com/. She looks up a song by title and then it has a letter above the lyrics that tells which chord to play. Click on "chords" and it will show the finger position. She told me that the $5 poster on her bedroom wall has taught her more than anything - it's a poster of all the guitar chords from Walmart. Go figure.

Free guitar lessons in South County...

joyfulnoiseguitarclass.webs.com

The guitar is very possible to learn how to play on your own, IMHO. I second JustinGuitar. If you know a guitar player, it would be helpful to touch base with them once in awhile. It mainly takes a lot of practice.

FranktownRocks.com is one site that hasn't been mentioned that has a few free lessons and more in the works.

My dd14 got part of the way there teaching herself but recently started lessons and the improvement is amazing. There are things that only an experienced teacher can teach. I'd say keep on practicing but do strive for private lessons as soon as possible.

what is definitely true is that the some of students that come to me after self-learning online have developed bad mechanics habits that need to be retrained in order for them to progress. a live teacher catches that a student didn't process the lesson correctly or pick up on a nuance of how a technique is done. it's not the end of the world and i love the internal motivation self-taught students show - i, in fact, am one of them from back in the day when there were only books to learn from. i'm just noting that even with the plethora of information available nowadays, there's still a place for live lessons.

Wow, there's alot more out there than I realized! That free lesson site looks great; thanks for sharing.

My dd says the site she uses is http://www.ultimate-guitar.com/. She looks up a song by title and then it has a letter above the lyrics that tells which chord to play. Click on "chords" and it will show the finger position. She told me that the $5 poster on her bedroom wall has taught her more than anything - it's a poster of all the guitar chords from Walmart. Go figure.

Cool! Thanks for that info. Dh just mentioned getting a chart today. We'll check into that.

Chelle

Free guitar lessons in South County...

joyfulnoiseguitarclass.webs.com

The guitar is very possible to learn how to play on your own, IMHO. I second JustinGuitar. If you know a guitar player, it would be helpful to touch base with them once in awhile. It mainly takes a lot of practice.

FranktownRocks.com is one site that hasn't been mentioned that has a few free lessons and more in the works.

Great info--thank you! I'll pass it on.

Chelle

My dd14 got part of the way there teaching herself but recently started lessons and the improvement is amazing. There are things that only an experienced teacher can teach. I'd say keep on practicing but do strive for private lessons as soon as possible.

Thanks, Dana. I see what you mean. I think I wanted to see if he was really interested before we started lessons, but it may be that he won't get very interested w/out a good teacher to help him.

Chelle

what is definitely true is that the some of students that come to me after self-learning online have developed bad mechanics habits that need to be retrained in order for them to progress. a live teacher catches that a student didn't process the lesson correctly or pick up on a nuance of how a technique is done. it's not the end of the world and i love the internal motivation self-taught students show - i, in fact, am one of them from back in the day when there were only books to learn from. i'm just noting that even with the plethora of information available nowadays, there's still a place for live lessons.

I definitely don't want him to have to unlearn bad habits! We'll see about looking into lessons sooner rather than later.

Thanks again, Deidre!

Chelle

P.S. My apologies for all the separate posts, everyone! I've obviously not learned to multi-quote!

Thanks, D. I was gonna ask this!

My kids take piano and each has an open promise from me that as soon as he or she can show me he's serious about piano by practicing 5 or 6 days a week for 3 months, he can start another instrument.

Well, my youngest is about 2 months into consistent piano practice and wants guitar lessons.

(My oldest got serious last spring and qualified :D but wasn't interested in another instrument and my middle had to start trombone & stop piano b/c he went to high school that had a music requirement).

Does it matter which kind of guitar he starts on -- is electric OK? Or should he start on acoustic?