Menu

What curriculum information does your school provide to parents?

We have a new school Principal and I'm thinking of going to see her to ask that teachers provide parents with clear curriculum information in the new school year.

When the school year began in February, I politely asked both the classroom teacher and the Principal if they would provide some 'parent-friendly' information telling us what the children would be learning. In both cases I was referred to the Western Australian Department of Education and Training website. As a former secondary teacher, I was able to navigate my way to the relevant documents, only to find that for early childhood mathematics alone, there were 5 pdf documents totaling 266 pages of of jargon and eduspeak. I couldn't even print them off and ask which bits they would be using!!

The classroom teacher was more willing to explain her expectations at an interview I arranged, but I still came out feeling like I didn't have the full picture, and more concerning, that I was somehow out of place for even asking.

What information does your primary (elementary school) provide to parents regarding curriculum and standards of achievement? Any links to relevant websites would be helpful.

Thanks

Katrina

Same here..we're referred to the state web site now. In the past, the teacher would give a syllabus, fairly well related to a certain number of chapters in the text. Starting with the full inclusion movement about six years ago, the teachers are being told what the objective for each strand is and are not allowed to proceed further, regardless of whether the state objectives were acheived or not. By fifth grade, this corresponds to about 4 of the 13 chapters in the text being completed, even in the 'high' class. Most in-the-know parents afterschool or hire a tutor and do the complete curriculum.

>>The classroom teacher was more willing to explain her expectations at an interview I arranged, but I still came out feeling like I didn't have the full picture, and more concerning, that I was somehow out of place for even asking.

Sounds familiar.

After second grade, we felt our public school's goals were too vague -- or not taught -- so we removed our son and placed him in a Catholic school. The two years at that much-ballyhooed public school were mostly a waste, IMO.

I just checked the same school district's website, and now it appears they have done a better job supplying detailed information in some subjects. (I only checked Latin -- which looks surprisingly good, reading, writing, and social studies for sixth grade on up.) However, these goals may be mostly pie-in-the-sky, feel-good rhetoric designed to appease parents. (No, I'm not cynical! LOL.) Here it is:

http://www.wilmette39.org/curriculum/curriculumhighlights.htm

Nowadays, I always ask to see the books the teachers plan to use and ask if s/he uses them. Sometimes they don't.

Another problem we've encountered is having the goals spelled out well but then either they're not taught or not taught well. I find that particularly frustrating.

I would say if you are getting bad or *uncertain* vibes to look at that as a sign to investigate further or even possibly reconsider schools.

I find it very frustrating too! Not only is there no syllabus, but our local public school doesn't even use textbooks or send home homework, so I don't even have that to rely on. At this point, I'm fairly certain that my children are learning nothing academic at school. There are a lot of holiday units and songs and crafts. They like school... so I'm merely considering it to be a pleasant daycare situation while I work. Learning happens in the evening. So far, it's working okay for us... but (as a mother and a teacher and someone who genuinely likes learning) I'm awfully disappointed.

I just checked the same school district's website, and now it appears they have done a better job supplying detailed information in some subjects. (I only checked Latin -- which looks surprisingly good, reading, writing, and social studies for sixth grade on up.) However, these goals may be mostly pie-in-the-sky, feel-good rhetoric designed to appease parents. (No, I'm not cynical! LOL.) Here it is:

http://www.wilmette39.org/curriculum/curriculumhighlights.htm

Thanks for the link. I had a look and printed off the grade 1 math, reading and writing curriculum pages. Three pages for grade 1 math is a whole lot better than 266 to basically say the same thing. As you say, it depends on if and how well it is taught, but at least the information is there.

There are a lot of holiday units and songs and crafts. They like school... so I'm merely considering it to be a pleasant daycare situation while I work. Learning happens in the evening. So far, it's working okay for us... but (as a mother and a teacher and someone who genuinely likes learning) I'm awfully disappointed.

Our new Principal just sent home a five page document detailing the new uniform policy. I figure if they can tell me what colour hair clips and elastics my daughter is expected to wear to school, then maybe now's the time to ask for information about important things, like curriculum. If yours is a pleasant daycare situation, mine is a well-dressed holiday camp!! They started the wind down to Christmas with 4 weeks of term to go. It's been Christmas crafts and concert practice (dd7 sings four carols kneeling, dressed as an angel) for the past two weeks with two to go.

Meanwhile, I'm sorting out reading and writing curriculum packages for my daughter and a friend's child so they can learn what they need over the summer holidays.

Well, so far my ds's secondary school has given me no information about what he will be learning. Like another poster, there is almost no work being sent home, so I can't even see what he's up to that way. There is a parent-teacher evening next week, and I'm hoping to learn more there.

I find it very curious that the government here is now considering much more stringent requirements for home educators, including a written plan for what we plan to cover in the year. Yet the schools do not provide parents with comperable information. As the law states that it is ultimately the parent's responsibility to provide an education to their child, I find this extremely odd.

Our school doesn't provide any direct information but if you dig deep into some of the teacher's web pages you can find links to some of the curriculum. Our school uses Investigations (Terc) and besides an occasional worksheet, I have no idea what they do in math each week. It's very frustrating and my ds doesn't like the program.

I could have written many of the above posts. So as not to repeat, my only constructive suggestion -- if your school/teacher allows it -- is to volunteer as much as possible. Here we have a very open volunteering and classroom visit policy, and I've adapted my work situation to go as much as possible. That's my best insight into what they are doing.

This year my kids have great teachers -- in particular my younger son has an amazing teacher. But my husband went to curriculum night and couldn't understand it -- I think he didn't have the context to know what's important.

The good teachers here send home weekly newsletters to let us know what the class is doing that week. I can then use that to ask my kids questions.

I have had a similar experience with the state or district annual objectives -- I can't make sense of them, so they're no help. And TERC/Investigations does not lend itself to parental understanding, to put it mildly.

Guest sandranelson1968

Gosh. My frustration with the school came from the same question but different answers. They kept answering by explaining the grading system to me.

When the teachers found out that I actually didn't care about the grading but was interested in the course content, they were thrilled. They provided me both with the official standards base for the curriculum (which was too dense to read but was a useful resource to look things up) and a summary lists the course Big Ideas and Specific Skills. They also pointed out that it was all available online but in fact, I've never been able to find it despite having asked a few times.....

My frustration came from the fact that the kids, at the end of the class, didn't master the big ideas. They didn't even seem aware of them. But they did score in the 90s. I'm not sure why since the courses appeared well conceived with motivated teachers. But, something definitely didn't work.

Edited by sandranelson1968
typo

I could have written many of the above posts. So as not to repeat, my only constructive suggestion -- if your school/teacher allows it -- is to volunteer as much as possible. Here we have a very open volunteering and classroom visit policy, and I've adapted my work situation to go as much as possible. That's my best insight into what they are doing.

This year my kids have great teachers -- in particular my younger son has an amazing teacher. But my husband went to curriculum night and couldn't understand it -- I think he didn't have the context to know what's important.

The good teachers here send home weekly newsletters to let us know what the class is doing that week. I can then use that to ask my kids questions.

I have had a similar experience with the state or district annual objectives -- I can't make sense of them, so they're no help. And TERC/Investigations does not lend itself to parental understanding, to put it mildly.

We're also in Oregon and also doing TERC... I need a support group for this. A month ago my second grader's homework for the entire week involved 'counting how many pockets' the family had.

To be fair though, I'm starting to be happy about the lack of homework -- at least it allows us to pursue actual education in the evenings.

Our local school started an IB program & the web-site has hardly any information. The answer we get is, we plan the cirriculum as we go. Yes they are vague & don't want to commit.

This year I talked to the teacher & she let me borrow the 2nd grade books for a weekend, so I have a feel what to expect in Math & LA. Science & Social Studies I get to know if the kids bring back stuff they have worked at school. Music & Spanish I have no idea what's going on. Art is a big black hole.

Too funny, Momling -- my second grader is doing pockets too! He has a really amazing teacher though so he is advancing tons this year. They have surprise pocket days at school where they count everyone's pockets, and somehow it is just the most fun thing to the kids.

His homework this year is pretty good, though parent intensive. In response to the pressure our district is under to comply with the TAG mandate, they've changed the second grade homework at our school to be an open-ended thing. We were given a long menu of possible HW assignments in different areas (math, literacy, social studies, science) and we are to pick one a day (or design our own) and then what they turn in a weekly report about what they did. What I like about it is that we can tweak it to be what we think they should be working on and can accomplish, rather than a one size fits all approach that is usually too easy and tedious.

If your children are not learning anything academic at school (the supposed intent of the public school system!), do you ever ask yourself what they are learning/being exposed to? I only ask because the public school system seems to be turning into a factory where children are being brainwashed into believing liberal/anti-American ideas, and wonder if those who are using it as a means of "day care" realize what they might be sacrificing by having their children exposed to all the nonacademic things that are being taught during the school hours.

I don't mean to start a big, mean debate...this is just something I really wonder about, because I was raised at a time the school system taught America was great, not evil It worries me!

I find it very frustrating too! Not only is there no syllabus, but our local public school doesn't even use textbooks or send home homework, so I don't even have that to rely on. At this point, I'm fairly certain that my children are learning nothing academic at school. There are a lot of holiday units and songs and crafts. They like school... so I'm merely considering it to be a pleasant daycare situation while I work. Learning happens in the evening. So far, it's working okay for us... but (as a mother and a teacher and someone who genuinely likes learning) I'm awfully disappointed.

I only ask because the public school system seems to be turning into a factory where children are being brainwashed into believing liberal/anti-American ideas...

"Liberal" ideas are not "anti-American" Kelly. In fact liberal ideals have helped us overcome grievous wrongs that have tarnished American ideals. Racism, sexism, and other forms of bigotry are what is un-American. And those unfortunately have been the bed-rock of conservative/anti-American ideals for far too long.

Bill

If your children are not learning anything academic at school (the supposed intent of the public school system!), do you ever ask yourself what they are learning/being exposed to? I only ask because the public school system seems to be turning into a factory where children are being brainwashed into believing liberal/anti-American ideas, and wonder if those who are using it as a means of "day care" realize what they might be sacrificing by having their children exposed to all the nonacademic things that are being taught during the school hours.

I don't mean to start a big, mean debate...this is just something I really wonder about, because I was raised at a time the school system taught America was great, not evil It worries me!

The two big ideas nonacademic ideas in public school in my area right now are full inclusion and fixed intelligence. Any child with normal intelligence can see that full inclusion is not really full, since members of certain subgroups are ignored while others are showered with resources and opportunities. This leads to a lot of discussion at home about the politics of tolerance and bigotry as well as the choice of what to do with one's life. Fixed intelligence has been debated forever - I won't repeat it - but will say there are many who beleive that certain students are unteachable and are resisting the demands of the powers that be to teach to those subgroups. Who knows, maybe one day all children will be able to learn in their assigned classroom, not just the politically favored subgroups of the year. Note: some unfavored subgroup children who see this carp around them turn into motivated self-teachers, if they weren't already. Many parents do not object to this result as it's a good character trait to have in life. It also makes them feel good that they've done their best to help the favored subgroups.

Edited by lgm

"Liberal" ideas are not "anti-American" Kelly. In fact liberal ideals have helped us overcome grievous wrongs that have tarnished American ideals. Racism, sexism, and other forms of bigotry are what is un-American. And those unfortunately have been the bed-rock of conservative/anti-American ideals for far too long.

Bill

:iagree:

Kelly, I totally agree with you that academics should be the focus of school, but after that... you lost me. I don't think school is evil. My daughters' teachers are well-meaning people who enjoy working with children and want the best for them. They are funny, friendly, normal people. I have no idea what their political and religious beliefs are and I like it that way. I think my older daughter is not being challenged in any way, and I wish that wasn't the case, and I do my best to remedy it... but in no way would I ever allow my children to be enrolled in a 'brainwashing factory'.

As for what goes on at school... My daughter has been exposed to a lot of early reading skills and TERC math (though she is years beyond this), lots of arts and crafts, a lot of singing, and a lot of field trips. They've pulled out invasive species of plants at the local pond, they've gone to a factory, they've gone to a nature park and a children's science museum. Although the syllabus isn't sent home, I'm fairly certain flag burning is not part of the second grade standards.

So yes, it's a good quality, free daycare / summer camp type program. She's been exposed to school buses and coat closets and pencil sharpeners hung on walls and lots of recess and music class and school lunch. And except for the lack of academics, she likes it a lot.

Getting back to the original topic, it appears that the WA Dept of Education is starting to produce some comprehensible curriculum documents. I spoke with DD7's teacher earlier this week about my desire to know what she's meant to be learning again. The next day after school the teacher asked to see me and had some new documents in the form of checklists only a couple of pages long for Year 1 reading and writing. She said they were new and would pass on the checklists for the other subjects when they become available.

Regarding the 'daycare' aspect of schooling, it has looked that way in DD7's class for the past couple of weeks, but I wouldn't describe it as being that way all year. DS4's Kindergarten teacher has been fabulous all year. Similar to Momling's comments, I would prefer more academic rigour however my daughter loves the art, craft, field trips, singing, stories, writing, cultural visits, sport etc.

Kelly - one of the things I like about public schools is that my children are exposed to a range of different people and ideas.

Oops, my bad. I do have to disagree with you (as you would probably guess). I am very conservative, but I am neither a bigot or a racist or a sexist. However, I do not believe in the "progressivism" that is being shoved down our throats by the "liberals" who are currently in control of our government. The founders of our country were "conservative" in the ways that matter - small government, and belief in God. Those are the ways I am conservative, and unfortunately, what is being taught in our schools is definitely anti God and pro big government.

Kelly

By the way, as I stated in my first post, the point of this is not to start a big conservative versus liberal debate. I don't think that will help any of us, and least of all our country. I was simply asking if the people who use school as "day care" who are willing to state their kids aren't getting any real "education" at school ever ask themselves what exactly their kids are being exposed to, if it is not "education."

Bill

Guest LandMmom
Oops, my bad. I do have to disagree with you (as you would probably guess). I am very conservative, but I am neither a bigot or a racist or a sexist. However, I do not believe in the "progressivism" that is being shoved down our throats by the "liberals" who are currently in control of our government. The founders of our country were "conservative" in the ways that matter - small government, and belief in God. Those are the ways I am conservative, and unfortunately, what is being taught in our schools is definitely anti God and pro big government.

Kelly

By the way, as I stated in my first post, the point of this is not to start a big conservative versus liberal debate. I don't think that will help any of us, and least of all our country. I was simply asking if the people who use school as "day care" who are willing to state their kids aren't getting any real "education" at school ever ask themselves what exactly their kids are being exposed to, if it is not "education."

Kelly -

I agree: I don't want to spark a "conservative"/"liberal" debate, but, like you, I disagree with the current "progressive" trend in our government. And I'll admit: for us, ps is more daycare than instruction. And one more "yes": I'm worried about what dd is being exposed to.

At this point (1st grade), the only real objection I have to our particular ps is the lack of attention being paid to the "advanced" kids. I appreciate that the less prepared students need to be brought up to speed, but it feels to me that the ones that won't hurt the school's SOL scores are not being well taught. As far as political/historical/social studies, I haven't seen any evidence of a slant so far, but be certain that I'm watching for it!

Kelly

:lol::lol::lol:

Kelly

Thanks for the laugh.

Anti-god. Ha. ROFL. The big explicit lesson in high school here is "Thou shalt not kill" others. There's a security guard on every corner in every hallway to remind students not to attempt it and to haul away those who do.

Pro big government. :lol::lol: Maybe in your state. Students here that are in attendance to avoid court-ordered consequences aren't exactly open minded and attentive nor do they care about forms of gov't. But if you want to beleive otherwise, go right ahead. You are free to do so under the current form of gov't.

Edited by lgm

Each year we receive an all course outline broken down by course & month for the whole school year.

Here's are linka to the school's curriculum guide & course outlines by grade:

http://novaclassical.org/academics/files/curr_overview.pdf

Scroll down to find grade of interest:

http://novaclassical.org/academics/curriculum.html

Each year we receive an all course outline broken down by course & month for the whole school year.

Here's are linka to the school's curriculum guide & course outlines by grade:

http://novaclassical.org/academics/files/curr_overview.pdf

Scroll down to find grade of interest:

http://novaclassical.org/academics/curriculum.html

Thank you so much for the link. What a fabulous curriculum. There's absolutely no chance of getting my local public school to move in this direction (our State curriculum framework has been passed by an act of parliament), but it does give a great overview and guide to some of the things I can try at home.

I should have found this out earlier, but what age are Kindergarten children in the USA when they start? And is Kindergarten a full-time program?

My ds 4yrs 6mths has just finished a two day a week Kindergarten program here, which I get the impression is more like US pre-school.

Thanks,

Katrina

As far as I can tell most schools in the US offer full time kindergarten for kids age 5 and up. Here it is 5 years old by Sept 1. At our school system in Oregon we have half time K instead, mostly because it saves money. But I like it because I still have time to teach her at home.

I don't think most states require attandence until they are older but the only families I know of that haven't put their children in K are homeschoolers and they are usually being taught more than the full time Kers, but in much less time and at home.