Menu

Question about grants

Gamom3

Ds moved out about a month ago. He had been attending one Technical College, but found out that there is another one closer to him, so he plans on transferring.

My question is this. He had been paying for school while he lived with us. We did claim him as a dependent, but will not for this year. He will turn 20 this month.

He would love to get the Pell Grant or any other grant, but has been denied. He went to the school and told them his situation--moving out, paying for his own health insurance and everything else. Today he received an e-mail stating that he did not qualify for the grant, because his parents made to much money!

Here is one thing that TICKS ME OFF.. his ex-girlfriend applied for the same grant and got it! Everything will be paid for, except her books.

She was living at home when she applied--she lived in the same subdivision as we do, her parents make more than we do and she got the grant...Ds can not even get a grant and he is trying his best to go to school...his ex isn't even wanting to go!!:mad:

What does he need to do to get this grant or any other grant??

If he has to he will get a loan, but he would love to get a grant.

Edited by Gamom3

From what I've read, until the dc are 24yo the parents' income counts unless the dc is married or orphaned (or such) regardless of if you claim him or not. Really stinks!

Yup. I had a dependent at 21 but was unmarried and still had to claim my parent's income.

I'm still not understanding how the gf got the grant, considering the circumstances. Did she lie, possibly?

Barb

From what I've read, until the dc are 24yo the parents' income counts unless the dc is married or orphaned (or such) regardless of if you claim him or not. Really stinks!

I have read this same thing. Until a child is 24 yo, he is considered a dependent student, unless he is married, orphaned, etc. A student under 24 yo can also apply to be independent if there are issues like homelessness, abuse, etc. I've read that these applications are carefully considered and the student would need back-up documentation from an outside agency (school, church, doctor, etc.) documenting these issues.

If the ex-girlfriend is under 24 yo and her parents income is too high to qualify for the Pell Grant, then it's possible she filled out the paperwork incorrectly or lied on the forms and that's why she was awarded the grant. If she did lie, it will probably catch up with her.

If you want to learn more about how the financial aid process works, I'd suggest reading the forum College Confidential. Look at their Financial Aid forum for lots of pertinent information.

Brenda

She will be 19 in February. I don't know what she did to qualify for the grant. Ds is going to talk to her---they are on speaking terms--tomorrow. I just hate that she was even considered for this and my son wasn't...she really doesn't even want to go to school--her parents are telling her she needs to go or they won't pay for her car, car insurance or health insurance if she doesn't go. She keeps saying that she will go next semester and doesn't. Ds is working so hard to go and can't because he can not get financial ad. He says it looks like he is going to have to wait until next semester..that way he can get the paper work filled out.

He is planning on going to the school Thursday to talk with them, to see if he can do anything now.

Yup. I had a dependent at 21 but was unmarried and still had to claim my parent's income.

I'm still not understanding how the gf got the grant, considering the circumstances. Did she lie, possibly?

Barb

This wasn't true when I was in school 15 years ago - a dependent got you "independent" status. I never had to supply my parents' information for financial aid.

Is it possible they have much less income than you think? Sometimes people can keep up appearances even when they are broke. Or does she have a sibling also in college?

Edited by Renee in FL

This wasn't true when I was in school 15 years ago - a dependent got you "independent" status. I never had to supply my parents' information for financial aid.

Is it possible they have much less income than you think? Sometimes people can keep up appearances even when they are broke. Or does she have a sibling also in college?

It didn't for me 20 years ago. Were you also single and under 24?

ETA: You know what? I'm totally wrong about that. I remember now what I was put out about. I moved into my own apartment at 19 and was completely self-supporting with roommates and a night job waiting tables. I tried to get a Pell and had to use my parents' income which really ticked me off since they were no longer supporting me. Ironically, after I had Meghan I applied for and received a Pell Grant even though I was living at home. Isn't it weird how over time memories shuffle around and sort of fall in the wrong drawers?

Edited by Barb F. PA in AZ

they have told me how much they make...a LOT more than we do!

No she is the oldest and doesn't even want to go to school!

Trying to ask you this gently- is she in the same ethnic background as your son? Is she from a family who never attended college but your son is from a family that did? SInce you are not talking about Pell Grants but rather grants done privately by the college- those may be some of the considerations. Other ones could be their respective majors, if the college has a shortage of females, even if there is no shortage, did she get a grant specified for women only, etc, etc.

Trying to ask you this gently- is she in the same ethnic background as your son? Is she from a family who never attended college but your son is from a family that did? SInce you are not talking about Pell Grants but rather grants done privately by the college- those may be some of the considerations. Other ones could be their respective majors, if the college has a shortage of females, even if there is no shortage, did she get a grant specified for women only, etc, etc.

One college I went to gave me a full tuition scholarship for being a minority.

I am white.:D