Menu

1st grader handwriting woes, and the miracle of smaller lines

monalisa

Just had to share this because I know handwriting tends to be a problem for a lot of kids....

So far I'd been using the really wide lined, 5/8" 1st grade paper for my daughter. This week we started using 3/8" triple line paper (printed it from Donnayoung.org). The reason I tried it is because a school we are considering for next year has their 1st graders using this size of paper (they were using the Riggs program, which is a variation of WRTR). The difference in my daughter's ability to form her letters is AMAZING. It almost looks like a different kid has done her copywork and spelling words. At first she cried and said it was too small for her to write on, but now she's producing such good work she loves it. I think the 5/8" paper is just so big that she's practically drawing her letters. So I am now writing out the WWE 1 copywork (which is actually even bigger than 5/8" I think) on this size paper, and I'm going to buy a ream of it at the teacher store nearby. I think its the standard 3rd grade size.

Just thought I'd pass this on, in case anyone else wanted to try it. Penmanship has been a major issue for us, so this a truly a breakthrough!

I've been thinking about going this route too. My son is 2nd grade and I went to standard wide ruled this year and he is having issues keeping his letters in proportion, but the other handwriting paper I have is way too big! Thanks for the success story. Heading to donnayoung.org right now. :)

Edited by Tam101

Thanks for letting us know that is there. I've looked at her site some, but never notice the handwriting pages. What a great resource when we want to go with a smaller size! My 1st grader is doing much better this year and we're still on the bigger lines, but I'd like to move him to a smaller size soon.

I had heard the bit about paper too big making them draw their letters (maybe in SWR?), so it's nice to hear a testimony. We've been using the 3rd grade (5/8") paper since the beginning. I just wanted to tell you that I bought a ream of it with the red bottom line at Learning Resources for about $6. It is huge! It will take us at least 2 years to get through it...maybe more. It seems like we haven't made much of a dent in it.