Menu

Science: BJU or Apologia?

ABQmom

My daughter will be in 7th grade this fall. I'm stuck in deciding between Bob Jones or Apologia General. She doesn't like science, and I don't enjoy teaching it. Maybe that's why she doesn't like it? Anyway, I know I want something she will like, and something she can do on her own. Would either one of these be a better fit than the other? Which would you choose in our situation?

We use Apologia and we are in the boat--I don't enjoy science and neither of my dds are inclined to like it!

We have been using it now for 3 years and it's working well for us. Even the experiments are easy for us--which is saying a LOT. We like the conversational tone and the companion CD-ROM is good, too. I've heard that BJU is really good, too. So, you're on the right track!;)

If you don't want to teach science at all, then I would choose Apologia. My boys personally did not care for it, but many do and they (my boys) are quite possibly...strange. ;)

If you're at all considering going with the BJU 7th grade Life Science w/ DVD option...then I recommend BJU hands down over Apologia. Even if you have to use the old edition (the newest 3rd edition is currrently not available on DVD OR Satellite). It is a wonderful course with a wonderful teacher. All you would have to do is hand out and grade tests and quizzes. If you don't want to go with the DVD option, then I would not choose BJU, unless you plan to actually participate in the learning/teaching process.

A few more comments in regard to BJU w/DVD option...

You mentioned that your dd does not like science. My experience with my younger two boys who have used BJU with DVD teachers has been quite positive. They went from thinking science was somewhat boring, to loving it! The teachers make the class interesting, and bring in all sorts of extra visuals and labs to make it downright fascinating. My middle son just last year was doing both BJU's Chemistry and Apologia's Biology at the same time. He is graduating this year (11th grade) and needed to fulfill our ISP's requirements early so that he could also squeeze in BJU's Physics this year.

All year he absolutely dreaded his biology lessons. He found Apologia very boring compared to his Chemistry class. I had to prod him constantly to get his biology done. I would have LOVED to put him in the BJU biology course instead, but we had Apologia on hand which oldest son used (and thoroughly disliked as well) and I didn't like the idea of spending more money. Needless to say, once he finished the Biology I sold it straight away. My youngest will use BJU Science all the way. It really is THAT good. :D At least we think so.

Again though, having said that, I would not use BJU unless you are motivated to teach it, or can afford the DVD option. It is not pick up and go, it is teacher driven and made to be taught. I am sure a child could just read the books and answer the chapter Q's, etc., and still learn from it, but they would miss a lot of good stuff along the way. ;)

My oldest ds like Apologia ok. I like it because all I have to do is to plan my weeks out with an assigment sheet for him and do the discussion time with him (On your own questions). We do the discussion and labs on the same day (when we are home all day long). There is no teaching on my part unless he is struggling with it. It does help me alot though by not having to teach it. I like doing the discussions so that is not a problem at all.

Now I am curious about the BJU science. I never used it. I am intrigued by it. Several moms from the homeschool group advised me not to use Apologia Biology, Physics or Chemistry. I was very perplexed :001_huh: by the comments of the moms in the group. Yet, they will not give me other options. It seems that BJU is an option however I do like the fact that Apologia encourages self learning. Does BJU science encourage self learning? What is the total price for Biology with DVD in BJU? I know there is homesat. Is choosing BJU science because of the interest is funner or more interesting than Apologia? Is it extensive like Apologia? I am on board with Apologia because I feel it is a top notch science program. Is BJU a top notch science program like Apologia?

I never considered using BJU for the high school science. I really like General science of Apologia. Moms in the group said that General and pysical science are great but apologia is not good for high school science.

Thanks

Holly

Does BJU science encourage self learning? What is the total price for Biology with DVD in BJU?

Yes, I believe BJU encourages self learning, but the DVD also gives you a wonderful in home tutor that helps science come alive for your child. The DVD option is $399 which includes all your DVD lessons as well as all your books/tests. You would need to buy lab materials on top of that.

Is choosing BJU science because of the interest is funner or more interesting than Apologia? Is it extensive like Apologia? I am on board with Apologia because I feel it is a top notch science program. Is BJU a top notch science program like Apologia?

I decided two years ago to get the BJU satellite because I had heard that their Math and especially their Science classes were top notch. My middle son has hopes of getting into engineering so I needed something good. It was the best school decision I ever made.

I just recently read somewhere how another child found Apologia High school science easy-breezy after using BJU. BJU is solid...and yes, it can be tough. For example, the 11th English class knocked my middle son for a loop this year...he was failing! My average 'A' student! I finally had to put him into something else as he was way over his head. I don't see that being such a problem with my youngest as he will have several years of BJU English under his belt before he hits the high school levels. BJU builds on previously learned skills each year, especially in English! My youngest son has really blossomed with BJU's math, English and science programs. He has learned so much in Science 5 that I can't wait to see how well he does in the science section of his Standardized tests this year.

I never considered using BJU for the high school science. I really like General science of Apologia. Moms in the group said that General and physical science are great but apologia is not good for high school science.

I am not sure why the moms in your group say Apologia is not good for high school. I have never heard that, except about the biology, which I have heard doesn't spend any time on the human body, whereas other biology texts do. I just know that my boys didn't care for it. My oldest and middle son used it for Physical and Biology. They did like the conversational tone of it, but for some reason it just didn't inspire much enthusiasm. My middle boy has used BJU's Chemistry and is currently taking their Physics. He looks forward to his class each day. Looks forward to what the teacher is going to add to his knowledge base. He REALLY liked the Chemistry labs, and struggles with the Physics ones (Physics is hard!).

I have also heard that BJU's 8th grade Space and Earth Science is very tough and that some parents wait until their child is in 9th before tackling it. And I even know of a few non-sciency kids who have used BJU's 7th grade Life Science for their high school Biology credit! Not something I would do, but to each his own. ;)

I could go on and on. If you're interested in checking out BJU's Science I do believe you can call them and ask for a demo DVD. If they don't have something to send you...let me know and I'll send ya one. :D

I have some questions for you....

I noticed on your signature you use BJU Home Sat for only 3 subjects for

5th/6th grade. I am confused about BJU. Do you have to buy the whole program but only choose to use those 3 subjects or do you buy them individually (which I thought you couldn't do until 7th grade....but I could be way wrong).

Obviously, if you do buy the whole kit, you feel this is a cost effective option, right? I have twin girls, so if I went the bju-route for only a few subjects, could they share a text book and just buy an extra workbook when needed? My dds will be in 6th grade next year, if that is important.

You mentioned your oldest son did BJU until highschool. Did he do the math until highschool too? Did he do the Literature? Thoughts?

Sorry if this is too many questions.

I have some questions for you....

I noticed on your signature you use BJU Home Sat for only 3 subjects for

5th/6th grade. I am confused about BJU. Do you have to buy the whole program but only choose to use those 3 subjects or do you buy them individually (which I thought you couldn't do until 7th grade....but I could be way wrong).

Obviously, if you do buy the whole kit, you feel this is a cost effective option, right? I have twin girls, so if I went the bju-route for only a few subjects, could they share a text book and just buy an extra workbook when needed? My dds will be in 6th grade next year, if that is important.

Sorry if this is too many questions.

When we began BJU I had three boys schooling at home so I decided to go with the BJU satellite. It was more cost effective and I could pick and choose any or as many classes as we wanted from k-12th grade...all for one monthly fee; $39.99 a month. We are still using the satellite, so I can pick and choose the 5th grade classes I want to use. Unless you go with the satellite, you must buy whole grade subject kits in k-6th. In 7th-12th you can choose a DVD option for just one subject at $399 per subject.

If you're looking to use BJU DVD or Hard Drive for your 6th grade twins, you would have to purchase a whole subject year which would include bible, history, english, spelling, reading, math, science, & handwriting. I know some families who do this, but just don't use all the classes. They get their books in the kit and then sell any book sets they don't plan to use, which in the end brings down the total cost. You would have to do the math on the total costs and decide if it would be worth it.

I personally don't care for BJU's history, and we don't use the spelling, handwriting or reading due to my son being a natural speller, a wonderful hand-writer, and using other sources for reading. But we did use the reading class last year and it was WONDERFUL! My son asked to do it alongside his regular Sonlight reading just because it was so fun. :D Oh, we do use the bible also...we have just taken a short break from it to do something different.

As for sharing books. Yes they could share. The only problem I can see with that would be if they were doing the same class at the same time. For example, in Science the DVD teacher will ask the student to pause the program and read x amount of pages from their science book. Unless they can sit nicely and read those pages together, this might prove to be problematic. You could have them share the reading by one reading aloud one paragraph, the other the next, etc. :confused: But if one were doing Science, while the other did Math...then you would have no issues with book sharing.

They would definitely need their own consumable workbooks (any book that is called a 'notebook', 'worktext' or 'activity manual') They could easily share the math Student Materials Packet though.

You mentioned your oldest son did BJU until highschool. Did he do the math until highschool too? Did he do the Literature? Thoughts?

My oldest only used BJU for English & Bible. By the time we purchased the satellite system, he had covered most of his high school requirements. In 12th grade he really only had Government/Economics to get done (we had Sonlights Core 400 to use for that).

My middle son (11th grader) did the BJU American Lit class last year and it was wonderful!!!! I wish I had learned Am Lit that way. She was such an interesting teacher!! I changed it a bit though by making the course a year long instead of a semester, and adding in some whole Am. Lit books (from our Core 400) in-between units. This worked great. Due to my son's heavy work load this year, he opted to use a Lightning Lit package for British Lit. Not nearly as interesting, but also not quite as intense and time consuming. This son wants to be an engineer, so his focus is on math and science....spending too much time in literature is a waste according to him. Yeah, whatever! :D I do plan to use some of the high school lit classes for my youngest when he gets their though.

Well, I THINK I answered your questions and then some. You're welcome to email me off list if you want more info, or want to just think this through some more. I am more than happy to listen and help in any way I can. :bigear:

Melissa,

I know I am being a little dense, but I have to make sure. ;)

If I have:

7th grader and want to do Life Science

9th grader doing Physical

10th grader doing Biology

12th grader doing Physics

I should get the HomeSat option and it will only be $39.99 a month, right?

There is still the philosophy problem to get past, but my main object to doing BJU science has been that I don't know if I am up to teaching it and I know I wasn't up to paying $400 a class when I would have so many kids who needed it at once.

Plan A is to get the books ahead of time and learn it on my own so I can teach it, but it would be nice to have a feasible plan B in case life takes over, which we know it tends to do. :D

Heather

Melissa,

If I have:

Correct! Except that starting this fall the Homesat monthly fee is going up to $49.99 a month. $10 a month seems like a huge jump, but for that price you get any and every class they offer from K-12th grade, plus other goodies like recipe shows, and BJU movies, etc. You have to have a recording device to record the classes...a DVD recorder with hard drive is what I use, but some families still use VCR's. It really depends on how many classes you are wanting to record.

Also, right now BJU is offering their satellite to new customers for $50 and 30% off all books through a homeworks consultant (which I am not). I have recently heard that they are also offering a free month of service for each friend/acquaintance of mine that signs up for Homesat. I haven't looked in to that at all, just read a blip on a message board about it...but with all this 'advice' I am giving, perhaps I should huh? LOL

There is still the philosophy problem to get past, but my main object to doing BJU science has been that I don't know if I am up to teaching it and I know I wasn't up to paying $400 a class when I would have so many kids who needed it at once.

I was a bit skeptical about BJU as well. I was very Sonlight/Charlotte Masony in my approach to teaching and I still am when applied to History/Lit/Art Appreciation, etc.. But I am finding the BJU Science w/DVD a wonderful burden reliever. They teach it soooooooo much better than I would or could, and as mentioned, it's top-notch. Plus if you for some reason cannot afford the lab materials for all the labs, your child will not miss out because the teacher does the lab on the DVD as well, so they often get to see everything step by step.

Plan A is to get the books ahead of time and learn it on my own so I can teach it, but it would be nice to have a feasible plan B in case life takes over, which we know it tends to do. :D

You're a much better woman than I if you can successfully teach that many science subjects at one time! :D Makes me tired just thinking about it! ;)

Thank you so much for taking the time to answer my questions. I didn't realize homesat gave you everything for all grades. I was thinking it was just for one grade level.

This may be a really stupid question, but with homesat do you record the classes you are participating in, and then watch at your convience? Do you use a dvr or a vcr...is it something like tivo? I am almost embarrassed to ask this question since I am technology challenged. The whole DVD thing seems easier but not as cost effective.

Thanks again for taking the time to help me.

You're a much better woman than I if you can successfully teach that many science subjects at one time! :D Makes me tired just thinking about it! ;)

LOL! I think big, but have back up plans because I know living up to my big plans is another thing. :D

The one good thing about having my kids so close in age is that it is very much just repeating the same thing, with tweaks to fit the next child's personality. No having to relearn things. IF (big if) I could stay ahead of my oldest, then I think I could pull it off because it will only be a one year break before my 2nd dd would start, and I might be able to combine her with my 3rd dd who is only a year behind her. Then another year break and my ds starts.

BUT I do doubt my ability to stay ahead of my oldest. I already am doing several teacher intensive programs, and at some point something has to give. :blink: This now sounds like a good option where I can plan to step back and let go, while focusing my energies on other topics.

Luckily we already have a DVR, and rarely go above 50% of the hard drive, so that part wouldn't be a problem.

Thanks for the information!

Heather

How do you find a homeworks consultant?

Thanks,

Lisa

To find a consultant in your area go to http://www.homeworksbyprecept.com and click on the appropriate link (something like 'find a consultant'). These are homeschool moms like you and me who do this as a way to earn money for school supplies. You can also host an in home 'party' and invite friends who might want to learn about BJU products. You would then get 10% credit on anything purchased at your 'party', plus any current discounts as well, I believe. No party is necessary though...you can just order what you want. Also with a consultant you ALWAYS get free shipping I am told.

HTHs! :D

...with homesat do you record the classes you are participating in, and then watch at your convience?

Yes! But you can even record classes you are NOT participating in as well. For example, I have been recording the 6th grade math classes this year so I won't have to record them next year, and next year I plan to record a few years ahead in English, as well as a year or two ahead in science. ;)

Do you use a dvr or a vcr...is it something like tivo?

Yes, it's like TIVO, but I don't believe you can actually use a TIVO machine to record off the satellite. I may be mistaken about that though. Most Homesatter's use a DVR with harddrive. They are a bit scarce right now due to some FCC regulations that recently came out about everything going digital, but you can still find some players at Walmart and the like. Eventually the manufacturers will catch up and get some more on the market. Meanwhile there's always the trusty VCR. :001_unsure:

The whole DVD thing seems easier but not as cost effective.

That depends on how many children you have and how many classes you'll be recording. With the satellite you still have to purchase all your books, and register for the classes you want schedules and class handouts for, etc. With the DVD and Hard Drive options all your books and schedules are included in the price. So you'll need to figure in the cost differences, the purchase price of a recording device if you don't already own one, plus the time you'll spend recording, to get a clear picture of what is most cost effective for your particular situation.

Thanks again for taking the time to help me.

My pleasure! :D

Melissa,

If I have:

Heather

The monthly fee is for access to the Satellite courses. Then you would need to register for the class (or at least you should) and purchase the books.

Is choosing BJU science because of the interest is funner or more interesting than Apologia? Is it extensive like Apologia? I am on board with Apologia because I feel it is a top notch science program. Is BJU a top notch science program like Apologia?

BJU Science courses are heavy - a lot of information. The 7th grade Life Science is a great course, but wow! Dd is doing it on her own this year and doing well. But it is way heavier than any science course I've seen up to this point.

I would choose BJU with or without the DVD option over Apologia. Part of that is personal preference. But I am very impressed with the BJU material. I looked at going another direction for 8th grade, but I am back to BJU.