Menu

Any Resources for Creating Your Own Lit. Study Guides?

tdeveson

I'd like to create my own literature study guides for ds. He's 10, in fifth grade.

The problem is that I've never even used one -- I'm not sure what one is supposed to look like -- what elements it should contain, etc. I could use some help finding resources online to help me do this. I'd also appreciate any advise or recommendations you may have. Please tell me what has worked for you.

Thanks in advance.

Edited by tdeveson
Corrected typo.

Check under the audio downloads and you can download a free audio which will give you a feel for it. I can't remember which one, but one of the audios (maybe one of the for sale ones) starts off from a Christian viewpoint which if you're Christian, won't bother you lol, but if you're not, it's still OK and he will get to the literature analysis.

Capt_Uhura

I'd like to create my own literature study guides for ds. He's 10, in fifth grade.

The problem is that I've never even used one -- I'm not sure what one is supposed to look like -- what elements it should contain, etc. I could use some help finding resources online to help me do this. I'd also appreciate any advise or recommendations you may have. Please tell me what has worked for you.

Thanks in advance.

I have Teaching the Classics, and I especially like their narrative arc, and the emphasis on literary terms. Also, it was very useful to see a socratic discussion taking place - something to model my own discussions after. It was also helpful for my sons to see what a discussion about literature actually involves. But, I don't feel confident enough to use it as my only source.

In creating my own study guides, I always fall back on Well Educated Mind. I can use it with any book, and never feel lost not knowing which questions I should be asking. If I go through all the WEM questions, I know which ones are really important. Then I can go through and plan our discussion, using a mixture of both sources.