Menu

New To Homeschooling - would appreciate advice

TCB

We started hschooling this year. We are still trying things out and finding our way and I'm assuming that's pretty usual for most people at first. We have a daughter in K(age 5) and one in 4th(age 9).

I would really appreciate advice regarding K. She is reading quite well, I haven't tested formally but estimate about end of Gr2-start of Gr 3 at least. Reading has improved tremendously over the last few months with just a lot of reading books and some work in Phonics pathways. My question is what is best to do: she is ahead in reading and seems to comprehend and pick things up easily but not so far ahead with handwriting and doesn't particularly like writing. She seems to pick up Math quite easily also. However I'm not doing a lot of organised, formal stuff with her because a) I want her to have a fun kindergarten and b) most of the things I've seen in the proper K programs she seems to already know. She does SOTW history and Apologia science with her sister - at her level of course.

This less organised approach is going OK but I'm finding it hard to keep her busy while I'm trying to teach older sis.

Any good ideas would be appreciated. I should add that we are fairly ecomonically challenged at the moment so cheap ideas would be great.

Thanks

Have you read The Well-Trained Mind? :p I'd recommend that first and it's usually available at the library (freeeeee!).

Keeping her busy could be as easy as letting her play :) If she's anxious to do school work (my youngest is), then do "skills" that need little hands-on. For instance, ds (the younger) will sit for long stretches cutting up index cards along different lines. He's learning how to use scissors, staying quiet ;) , and he 'doing school.'

In my opinion :001_smile: both girls need lots of play. This is a great age for them to try out lots of experiences. Cooking, setting the table, reporting the outside temperature can all reinforce math skills.

It will be easier to read and write when you have a ton of stuff to write about and you can relate to the things you are reading.

Cross body work (right/left brain development), gross and fine motor skills are more important right now than most 'school skills'.

For the little one, developing lots of hand-eye coordination and fine motor skills will help with the physical act of writing. Things like crochet, beading, lacing cards, counting piles of beans will help. Later when she has good hand control, and has stuff to say, it will be easier to interest her in writing.

Obviously, you know your kids best, so you can take or leave my advice. We were very unstructured in the earlier years (leaning toward unschooling).

In my opinion :001_smile: both girls need lots of play. This is a great age for them to try out lots of experiences. Cooking, setting the table, reporting the outside temperature can all reinforce math skills.

It will be easier to read and write when you have a ton of stuff to write about and you can relate to the things you are reading.

Cross body work (right/left brain development), gross and fine motor skills are more important right now than most 'school skills'.

For the little one, developing lots of hand-eye coordination and fine motor skills will help with the physical act of writing. Things like crochet, beading, lacing cards, counting piles of beans will help. Later when she has good hand control, and has stuff to say, it will be easier to interest her in writing.

Obviously, you know your kids best, so you can take or leave my advice. We were very unstructured in the earlier years (leaning toward unschooling).

:iagree:

Make "games" out of math, phonics etc. And, NOT for hours on end. A "K'er" should not need more than 1 hour of instruction each day and that would also include other things. For Thanksgiving, get a brown grocery store bag and cut down middle on either front OR back from edge to where bottom starts to fold. THEN, cut out armholes. NOw it's an Indian vest which can be decorated with paintes, beads, feathers, etc. Same with headband. Then you can teach a little 5 minute story of so of the Pilgrims coming to America on the Mayflower, etc. HTH.

(if you haven't already done this :001_smile:).

In addition to books, ours has lots of audio books, CDs, and other materials for dc the age of your dd. The library in an adjacent town has puzzles and games that can be checked out as well.

When ds 7 was 5, he spent hours playing and listening to audio books while I worked with his older brother.

If you can, pick up some inexpensive art supplies as well. Crayons, cotton balls, popsicle sticks, pipe cleaners, stickers and things like that are great to keep little hands busy and productive.

Welcome to the board - you'll find a wealth of helpful information here!

Also homeschooling K, with already reading kid (about same level as yours). I'm doing k12 through our state's virtual academy (thus FREE). It's a great curriculum, and you can choose what to do. We are only doing math and science, as language arts was not a good fit (so enrolled as part time). However, it seems like you are already getting in science. We are also working through "Handwriting without Tears" as writing is still at a K or lower level. We were able to get bumped up to 1st grade math and science (still rather easy, but this makes it nice to not have to spend much time on real academics).

Books on tape are GREAT, as mine can't read on his own for LONG periods, but will listen to an entire book (like 5 hours) in a day.

Wow! Just lost my whole post. :glare: I hate it when that happens. In a nutshell:

Reading, writing, spelling and penmanship are all different skill sets requiring different levels of maturity and ability. Heck, penmanship, imo is an art. It takes a certain level of fine motor skills that a 5/6 probably doesn't have. I have a 6 dd, who is in 2nd grade (long story). I don't make her do any writing except copywork and oral narrations. I learned the hard way. :D

I would listen to some of the pp's who gave great ideas about keeping her busy in a way that would enrich her learning and not push too hard on anything else at this time.

Enjoy this time.:001_smile:

Welcome! What a great decision your family made! These days are priceless with your children. I have a 1st and 4th grader now. I usually let my dd7 do copywork while I work with my dd9. Her spelling words or her name and address and my information that she needs to memorize. I also have alot and I do mean alot of washable paint in my house. Glue and glitter are in my toothbrushes and on the walls. I like to print off the computer coloring sheets and let her paint them. you can get themed stuff on free websites. I also like her to go outside and pick up leaves and sticks and pinecones to paint. I usually throw most of her stuff away because there is so much of it. Blocks are still a good thing and so are legos. She has simple books that she can read or just look at the picture and I am going to admit this publicly:

I let my youngest daughter watch the Radiation Tube sometimes too if she is just too antzy while I am trying to do something critical. I put in an Amazing Animals series tape with Henry The Lizard and I get math done.

Bad Homeschooling, Anti TV, skirt wearing, garden digging Mama.:tongue_smilie:

I second the idea of fine motor-skill building activities - cutting and pasting, coloring, drawing, painting, lacing beads, a book of dot-to-dots or mazes, etc. All of this will help build up those writing muscles (and keep her occupied :001_smile:). You could also buy some letter and number stickers and let her use those in a workbook instead of writing an answer, or type the answers up and let her cut them out and paste them on a workbook page.

She is already so far ahead in reading that if she isn't interested in doing a lot of sit-down work, IMO you could get away with simply having her read to you for 10-15 minutes a day, work on her handwriting/fine motor skills for 10-15 minutes a day, and then add in 20-30 minutes of math. Then you can turn her loose. :D The rest she will get from listening in on read-alouds, etc., and it's just extra at this point anyway.

I hope you have a great year!!