Menu

MCT : Classics in the Classroom

christine in al

I have set up a deer blind beside the mail box so I can pounce on on my Michael Clay Thompson materials the minute they arrive. While I wait , I am looking at the web site and see I will need to add in-class literature and free reading. Free Reading is easy, We use WWE and so have a list of amazing books to read. ( 2nd and 4th grade, I am waiting for MCT Island Level materials to add to FLL3 for my 4th grader)

So:

Question 1. How to teach Literature and handle the in-class reading. Do y'all read together? or assign a reading section ? And, how do you STOP a kid from just reading the book all the way through. That is a lovely problem we have at our house. None of us can put a good book down once we start., but we are not _ STUDYING _ them. I have How to Read a Book, should I look back there?

Question 2. In the discription, I saw the term "political correctness". Usually when I see that it is from a place of difiance about "not bowing to political correctness"

From those sources, I find that _I_ percieve a disregard for others views and experiences. a lack of sensitivity ( That is probably spelled incorrectly, sorry).

Any Liberals using Classics in the Classroom?

Thanks,

~christine in al

Question 2. In the discription, I saw the term "political correctness". Usually when I see that it is from a place of difiance about "not bowing to political correctness"

From those sources, I find that _I_ percieve a disregard for others views and experiences. a lack of sensitivity ( That is probably spelled incorrectly, sorry).

I think it just means that there are books on the list that were on the lists of old but that have been removed recently because of various political concerns. I have read Classics in the Classroom twice now and never once detected a political agenda. And I am a liberal type.

Also, Classics in the Classroom isn't something that can have an agenda that is transmitted to students, as the teacher is the one that facilitates the discussions and determines the writing assignments. It is a guidebook, not a complete curriculum.

From the Royal Fireworks Press website:

Michael Clay Thompson again: "Classics in the Classroom is an extended discussion of the value of classics at a time when school systems everywhere were deleting classics as politically incorrect. It is a defense of classics."

I have set up a deer blind beside the mail box so I can pounce on on my Michael Clay Thompson materials the minute they arrive. While I wait , I am looking at the web site and see I will need to add in-class literature and free reading. Free Reading is easy, We use WWE and so have a list of amazing books to read. ( 2nd and 4th grade, I am waiting for MCT Island Level materials to add to FLL3 for my 4th grader)

So:

Question 1. How to teach Literature and handle the in-class reading. Do y'all read together? or assign a reading section ? And, how do you STOP a kid from just reading the book all the way through. That is a lovely problem we have at our house. None of us can put a good book down once we start., but we are not _ STUDYING _ them. I have How to Read a Book, should I look back there?

Thanks,

~christine in al

I've also been wondering about how to use it.

Would you tell me how you're going to combine WWE and FLL? I use both and I'm curious as to how to add MCT....or would I stop those two and just focus on MCT?

I don't have the MCT book, but we do have books we study in- depth along with free reads. The indepth books we use with a study guide and progress slowly using the assignments in the guide and lots of discussion. My kids also have free reads that I let them choose from a list of classics. These they just read as quickly as they like, and then choose another.

I've also been wondering about how to use it.

Would you tell me how you're going to combine WWE and FLL? I use both and I'm curious as to how to add MCT....or would I stop those two and just focus on MCT?

During the early levels of MCT you would not have problems doing all these; WWE would seem to be a good addition to MCT. But as you advance I think it will quickly become apparent which things overlap and could be dropped.