Menu

More Kitchenaid ??s--tilt-back versus lift-up? Other things it can do?

I've been reading the other threads and I can see why one would want the tilt-back version. However, I also want a high-wattage version so I don't have to worry about burning it out, and it seems like all the high-wattage ones are lift-up only. Is that the case?

Also, I know that there are food processor attachments you can buy for it. Are these worth the money, or do you prefer a separate FP? This thing will take up a lot of space in my small kitchen, so I'd rather save space on something else if I can, but I also want it to actually work.

And what other wonderful things can your stand mixer do? There are a gazillion attachments, it seems. Are they worth buying?

TIA!

I have the meat grinder attachment and I love it. I also have a shredder and grater attachment. I don't use those that often but I am glad I have them when I do use them. I have considered getting the grain mill attachment but after speaking to a friend of mine who grinds all her own grain I will be going with a stand alone model.

My KA mixer is about 10 years old. I wanted a tilt head, because they are definitely more convenient, but I also wanted the largest capacity and at the time that meant getting the lift.

I think now you can get a larger capacity model with a tilt head but I could be wrong.

All that being said, I am really glad I went for the capacity/larger motor over the tilt head. It handles double or even triple batches of cookie dough, and enough dough for 2 loaves of bread, whole wheat no less, which is much harder for a mixer to handle when kneading.

I also have a separate food processor. I personally just find it more convenient and versatile, but then again I use my processor for a lot more than shredding/slicing. I have a lot of the different disks, I use it to chop, and it makes great pie crust, cheese balls and tuna, chicken and egg salad. I don't know what I would do without it during the holidays! It also makes a decent single loaf of bread.

I've thought about getting the meat grinder for my mixer, but I have heard it is very hard on the motor and causes it not to last as long. I would love to know if this is true or not, because I would probably use it alot. My in-laws grind their own meat for hamburgers and boy are they good! I'm also thinking homemade sausage. I think the grinder comes with an attachment for stuffing the sausage in casings.

Hmm, maybe it's time for me to do a little research on this. I'm also interested in the new paddle they have that works like a spatula as it mixes.

I have the shredder/grater attachment, I only use it 2-3 times a year but it's worth having just for those. You could use the grinder attachment for baby food if you're still having babies. I'm also interested in the pasta maker attachment--I'd like to make my own whole wheat pasta someday maybe. :)

I'm with the others--capacity/motor size would be most important, but if I could find a big one with the tilt head, I would get that. Also, I'd love to have stainless steel rather than white, but that's just me :D

I am sure it is fine, but I don't like that the cording runs in the tilting part of the tilt head model. I figured it was just one thing that could go wrong. I chose the bowl lift for this reason and also the higher capacity.

The only attachment I have is the grinder/strainer. I like it because you can put cooked apples in it with the peels and bits of core (after you use one of those push down apple slicers and corers) and it strains it all out to make applesauce. YUMMY!

I also replaced all the mixing attachments to the white ones as the silver (aluminum) ones eventually lose their coating and it starts making black rubboff stuff everywhere! YUCK!

We had the tilt version and replaced it with the lift version for the added capacity and power. I preferred the tilt for ease of use but like the lift since I don't have to slide it out to use it and can do a double batch of bread dough.

We have the pasta attachments and use them fairly often. There really is nothing like homemade pasta.