Menu

Internet Shopping Scam

http://www.foxnews.com/politics/2009/11/18/mysterious-charges-credit-cardinternet-shopping-blame/?test=latestnews

I see these things all of the time, and my husband accidentally clicked "yes" one time because he didn't buy much online.

What really annoys me is that the merchant you have purchased from actually passes your credit card # onto this company. You should have to enter your form of payment before buying anything.

It happened to my husband on the Joann craft website. I just saw it pop up again last night on Chadwicks.

Edited by nestof3

Can I just say that I hate these things and they are even worse than what is being reported here. We have had to dispute charges to these kinds of companies more than once for one that we didn't even sign up for in the first place. In some cases the orginating charge came from website we never visited or company we never shopped from. We have had cases were the cc companies themselves have automatically signed up all their members and then only cancelled the contract if the customer complained or others that automatically signed you up if you used their service. Basically anyone who has you credit card number can do this so you really have to comb your bills to make sure that all charges are correct.

We have also had problems with charges showing up on our cell phone bills that the company says is because we clicked a button on facebook or myspace or whatever. This makes no sense to me as they do not have our cell phone numbers so I am not exactly sure how this is happening yet but we are working on trying to figure it out. We also get solicitations on our cell phones that require an active negative response to prevent a charge. This is a problem because we have taught our children to never respond to a unknown text.

We have also had problems with charges showing up on our cell phone bills that the company says is because we clicked a button on facebook or myspace or whatever. This makes no sense to me as they do not have our cell phone numbers so I am not exactly sure how this is happening yet but we are working on trying to figure it out.

Both my husband and our eldest son fell for this. They took quizzes (ironically our son's was an IQ test), but you have to enter your cell phone # to get the results. You are then texted a message and charged monthly.