Menu

Can we talk about Phonics Road, SWR and other Spalding based programs?

prairie rose

I was taught the Spalding method in school and started out homeschooling my oldest with WRTR and quickly switched to SWR as it seemed more homeschool friendly. My oldest got several years of Spalding based phonics before more babies and a military moves got the better of us. We went to a workbook approach for a while (everyone hated it) and went to AAS about a year and half ago (too painfully slow with the teaching).

So right now, I'm just working on teaching them all the phonograms, 11yo knows most of them except some of the most advanced one and knows I'd say about half the rules, 9yo and 8yo know the first 26 and probably 10 - 15 beyond that and a handful of rules, starting from scratch with almost 4yo. I sold my SWR materials a couple of years ago so I'm just working with homemade materials and my Spalding background for now but I really want to buy a program in the spring when I have money for homeschool materials again.

I was going to just re-purchase SWR since I could work with all my kids with one purchase but since I'm not very good at implementing the LA portion I was just going to have them continue their current effective but time consuming and boring LA programs (ILL for 8yo and 9yo, Saxon/Hake grammar for 11yo)

But I've been looking at Phonics Road and I'm very interested. I would love to do the complete language arts program Spalding style and the Latin would be an added plus. :D

However, we don't do well with DVD programs, MUS did not go well here. :lol: having to watch a DVD before each lesson might cause lessons not to happen here....would that prevent the lessons from going well here?

Also I've read that older kids can go through the program at an accelerated pace.... how exactly does that work? Are the doing more than one lesson a week? How heavy of a work load does that make? How many words are they doing per week?

The cost is another factor. To teach 4 kids, 3 of them at an accelerated pace, what exactly do I need to order? What can I pass on or reuse to keep cost down?

Thanks in advance for any advice you can give me (and for reading my novel if you made it this far :lol:).

I accelerated my 5th grade dd. We did a week (20 or so words)/day through level 1. I can see doing level two at 2 weeks/week if that makes sense. There is more to that level. We started level two, and I decided to skip onto level three with dd. We came to a point where my ds(4th) needed to slow down, so he will do level two at normal pace. DD was a terrible speller when we started level one, but has improved tremendously. Level 3 comprehensively reviews all the words, building codes and framing codes from levels one and two for the first half of the year. So, I figure I will just slow down if she gets stuck on some of the level two words when we come across them.

The Phonics Road just keeps getting better with every level, imo. I haven't seen anything so comprehensive. However, I don't mind the DVD's. I even have dc self teach from them if I need to attend to the little ones. I really love that aspect.

To accelerate was expensive. I won't sugar coat it. I spent money on 3 levels in 4 months. It was worth it for me though, because I have two more using it when they are ready. I just make copies of all the student materials. I actually had my dc work in a composition book for the first two levels. So, it's easy to use your own materials with it, as well.

I guess you need to decide how you want to go about it. You already know how to teach SWR. You could always change the rest of your L.A. to something less time consuming. Analytical Grammar comes to mind.

I hope this helps a little. :)

Edited by momofabcd

Thanks for sharing your experience Deena. It's really helpful.

I actually have 5 kids to teach; 11yo fifth grader, 9yo 4th grader, 8yo third grader, 3yo preschooler and an 19 month old mess maker. :lol:

I do know how to teach SWR but one reason we fell off the tracks was that it lacks structure, as was mentioned in the other thread. But it is more economical than PRTR and I could just tell myself to suck it up.

On the other hand, PRTR includes literature starting in Level 2, some latin and they can continue on into Latin Road....the cost is a bit stomach turning when you figure I have 5 kids to run through this but on the other hand I would be taking care of reading, writing, literature, spelling and Latin.....

Can anyone share what a typical day looks like with PRTR, especially with several children on different levels? I think that might help me make a decision. ;)

Oh, and would it be possible to start the older kids in the second level? Is there any circumstance where a learner with previous Spalding experience could start at a level other than level 1?

Thanks again

ETA: Also, do the dvds need to be watched before each lesson or just before new concepts are introduced? I guess what I'm really asking is how often do you need to use the DVDs? Daily? Weekly? As needed?

Edited by prairie rose

I started my youngest in level 1 last year. Come Aug. I added another 7 y.o. boy to the mix, so we reviewed year 1 at an accelerated pace. We went through the entire 1st year in 3 months. The pros of purchasing the 1st level will be accurate flashcards (which you'll need for level 2), spelling lists (which are reviewed at large in PR2), and you will refer back to the "Building Codes" in PR2. I would encourage you to use it for everyone. You could very easily skip through with the older dc. The con clearly is expense. You can always have your children mimic the notebook and not buy more student notebooks. It's very easy to do so.

Since I love PR so much last year, I opted to put my dd9 in it this year. She and I have gone through PR1 & are at the end of PR2 now. We'll begin PR3 with her in January. It is tedious b/c of the sheer volume, but she's learned and retained far more than she ever did with out previous track. The program does get better every time.

Finally, I used the Bridge to Latin and Latin 1 with my eldest 3 (grades 6,7,8 currently) and love it! Solid. Solid. Solid on all fronts.

As for time, the 2 Littles and I finish in about 45 min/day for level 2 and that counts for spelling, grammar, literature study, dictation, phonics, reading comprehension, literature analysis, and handwriting. We wake up and do bible, math, then all of language arts, p.e., science and/or history, lunch, then they do some fun school on the computer. They're finished.

Dd9 and I finish her accelerated pace for the day in about the same time. Dd9 does all her independent work in the a.m., then after lunch we have history (UG, D) and then she and do all of her language arts and any math teaching. She's finished by 2:30 with plenty of personal time in the morning.

I spend about 1hour every Friday with the elders preparing them for the next week, when they spend M-Thurs. working independently on their Latin. They complete the assignments as given in the book in 30-45 minutes. They also spend 10 min/day studying vocab.

Let me tell you, I'm broke and frugal. I don't spend money lightly and I like to be sure when I purchase. I absolutely think buying this program (at any level) is worth every penny.

I wrote about PR in this thread. Take the chance to read it. It's a pretty indepth review.

Remember, you could save by having your children mimic the notebook instead of purchasing additional copies. It's not hard to do.

HTH. Always happy to discuss PR :)

ETA: Also, do the dvds need to be watched before each lesson or just before new concepts are introduced? I guess what I'm really asking is how often do you need to use the DVDs? Daily? Weekly? As needed?

The DVD's are easy to follow. Level 1 can be followed by a student, although not at all recommended. Once you get the hang of the format, you can watch very quickly (5 minutes per session, if that). I no longer need to have her spell out all the words. I know the Rule Tunes, and the Building Codes pop up onscreen, so I can fast forward and get it done quickly.

As a time saver, b/c I might skip lessons if not prepared too (so guilty of that!), I decided to plan out each year over the summer. YES, it was a long bit of DVD watching, but so worth it. I have the notes and everything labeled in my copy of the Student Notebook (provided in Teacher Pack), that I read my notes and am ready to teach in 5 min. In all out time, I'd say 20 min. a week for all lesson viewing. If you lesson plan 20 min. every Monday morning, you wouldn't need to pull anything out until next Monday.

I did find, though, that the introductions to each chapter of level 3 were so pleasant that I will have dc watch them before we read. Not necessary, but certainly joyful.

Resale on this program is EXCELLENT! Not too many people let it go!

Tina,

Do you use PR as all of your language arts- there's nothing else you need to add?

I ask because the hardest thing about hsing for me has been figuring out how to have the time to cover everything thoroughly with 4 kids and not make the day too long for my younger kids. I want to have time for exploration and science and art and other things they love but don't want to skimp on the skill subjects. So PR seems like it might be a good solution. Instead of having grammar here, spelling there, and Latin when we can get to it. This seems like it would tie things together.

Could my 7 and 9 yr olds do PR and maybe just add a little IEW and HWT cursive and that would be enough for the next couple of years? I would do PR with them in 2 yrs instead of 4.

Thanks!

I'm sorry for elbowing into your thread, Prairie Rose, it just seemed redundant to start another one.

Tina, I don't know whether to hug you or ask you to be quiet, :lol: You are making it very hard to say "it's too much money" :lol:

20 minutes a week I can do. It was the daily or every other day of watching the DVDs that made MUS such a drag for us. We also strongly suspect dyslexia in my 9yo. He's not diagnosed but I think it's very strong possibility which is one reason why I think we need to get back to Spalding based language arts. I'm also glad to hear that we can do without the additional student packs. Spending $200 per level I might gag a little but I can swallow it.... $300 - $400 per level was getting to the point of causing involuntary twitching. :lol:

Time wise per day, I'm not worried. I'm willing to spend all day on to get them up to par if necessary. I was wondering more along the lines of what does a lesson look like? With SWR, I can do phonogram and rule review as a group in the morning and then work with them individually or in groups on spelling lists and other language arts areas. SWR, a day is basically Preliminaries (phonogram and rule review and sometimes rule page making), Spelling List, then Enrichments (games, grammar, word play). I can't find anywhere on the PR site that describes what a daily lesson looks like.

Also what does the composition aspect look like? I know they write original sentences then paragraphs and so on but do you need some kind of writing program at some point or do they teach them to do essay writing, creative writing, letter writing, journal writing and other types of writing in either PR or LR?

Thanks for all you help ;)

Edited by prairie rose

No problem. ;) I don't mind sharing my thread. :lol:

Thanks! Since I invited myself, it's kind of you not to boot me out. :001_smile:

But you all should ignore me. This program looks very good so I'm getting carried away. If I has seen it earlier I would definitely use it, but I was just thinking how my kids have been through ETC and 2 levels of AAS and FLL and HWT and I think they are going to be really frustrated with me if I start them all over once again. I need to stick to Elizabeth B's phonics resources. *Smacking myself upside head.*

My youngest could start this, since he's a Ker and he hasn't been through phonics yet, but it's expensive for one child.

I promise to be quiet now! :tongue_smilie:

Tina, I don't know whether to hug you or ask you to be quiet, :lol: You are making it very hard to say "it's too much money" :lol:

20 minutes a week I can do. It was the daily or every other day of watching the DVDs that made MUS such a drag for us. We also strongly suspect dyslexia in my 9yo. He's not diagnosed but I think it's very strong possibility which is one reason why I think we need to get back to Spalding based language arts. I'm also glad to hear that we can do without the additional student packs. Spending $200 per level I might gag a little but I can swallow it.... $300 - $400 per level was getting to the point of causing involuntary twitching. :lol:

Time wise per day, I'm not worried. I'm willing to spend all day on to get them up to par if necessary. I was wondering more along the lines of what does a lesson look like? With SWR, I can do phonogram and rule review as a group in the morning and then work with them individually or in groups on spelling lists and other language arts areas. SWR, a day is basically Preliminaries (phonogram and rule review and sometimes rule page making), Spelling List, then Enrichments (games, grammar, word play). I can't find anywhere on the PR site that describes what a daily lesson looks like.

Also what does the composition aspect look like? I know they write original sentences then paragraphs and so on but do you need some kind of writing program at some point or do they teach them to do essay writing, creative writing, letter writing, journal writing and other types of writing in either PR or LR?

:lurk5:I have been following this thread very closely trying to learn more about PR. These are my exact questions. As we are expecting #8 in Feb. I am desperate for a more comprehensive, less scattered program. I will have a 9th, 7th, 4th, 2nd, Ker who completed MFW K, and a pre K 4 (PLus a 2.5 and 6 month old) come sept. I am wondering if you can jump in to Latin road with the oldest. But I am thinking of even using Level 1 accelerated (If I can figure out how to do this) with my kiddos after Christmas this year. They are doing R&S and really don't like it. Plus the 6th grader is a terrible speller... Please keep the info coming. I am thinking tax money;)

:lurk5:I have been following this thread very closely trying to learn more about PR. These are my exact questions. As we are expecting #8 in Feb. I am desperate for a more comprehensive, less scattered program. I will have a 9th, 7th, 4th, 2nd, Ker who completed MFW K, and a pre K 4 (PLus a 2.5 and 6 month old) come sept. I am wondering if you can jump in to Latin road with the oldest. But I am thinking of even using Level 1 accelerated (If I can figure out how to do this) with my kiddos after Christmas this year. They are doing R&S and really don't like it. Plus the 6th grader is a terrible speller... Please keep the info coming. I am thinking tax money;)

I'd love to hear more, too. There is a great comparison of SWR and PR on the SWR yahoo group that has me thinking.

Tina,

Do you use PR as all of your language arts- there's nothing else you need to add? for the 4th grader and up, I do add the Writing Assignments from Writing Aids, as we use TOG. For the littles, nothing more is needed.

I ask because the hardest thing about hsing for me has been figuring out how to have the time to cover everything thoroughly with 4 kids and not make the day too long for my younger kids. I want to have time for exploration and science and art and other things they love but don't want to skimp on the skill subjects. So PR seems like it might be a good solution. Instead of having grammar here, spelling there, and Latin when we can get to it. This seems like it would tie things together.

Absolutely the case.

In fact, not using PR created that problem for us. Using PR has made it all make sense.

Could my 7 and 9 yr olds do PR and maybe just add a little IEW and HWT cursive and that would be enough for the next couple of years? I would do PR with them in 2 yrs instead of 4. Actually, you won't need HWT AT ALL :) Cursive it taught at the end of PR2. Having the IEW wouldn't hurt, although it won't be necessary, IMO, until 4th grade and beyond. Then you get to head into Latin!

Thanks!

20 minutes a week I can do. It was the daily or every other day of watching the DVDs that made MUS such a drag for us. We also strongly suspect dyslexia in my 9yo. He's not diagnosed but I think it's very strong possibility which is one reason why I think we need to get back to Spalding based language arts. I'm also glad to hear that we can do without the additional student packs. Spending $200 per level I might gag a little but I can swallow it.... $300 - $400 per level was getting to the point of causing involuntary twitching. :lol: I feel ya'!

Time wise per day, I'm not worried. I'm willing to spend all day on to get them up to par if necessary. I was wondering more along the lines of what does a lesson look like? With SWR, I can do phonogram and rule review as a group in the morning and then work with them individually or in groups on spelling lists and other language arts areas. SWR, a day is basically Preliminaries (phonogram and rule review and sometimes rule page making), Spelling List, then Enrichments (games, grammar, word play). I can't find anywhere on the PR site that describes what a daily lesson looks like. I'll post separately for this.

Also what does the composition aspect look like? I know they write original sentences then paragraphs and so on but do you need some kind of writing program at some point or do they teach them to do essay writing, creative writing, letter writing, journal writing and other types of writing in either PR or LR? Building through the years, I can only get to the end of PR3, as I don't have 4 yet! By the end of PR3, graphic organizers, note taking, summary work, character sketching, descriptive writing are all included, so I can only speculate that she'll continue on course and get some great writing instruction in PR4. The LR does not include writing, so at that point another program to get in depth on the different genres. For my fam. Writing Aids fills that void.

I'll post again with a typical lesson plan for the day.

I *think* you can get a sample DVD. It will probably give a better verbal example, but I'll give it a try ;)

PR 1 Week 15 Day 2-- after most phonics (sounds) have been taught

1. Review letters, teams, and some words missed on previous tests or where the student is forgetting or just learned

2. Test yesterdays words (only 4 words or so per day)

3. Introduce new words by having child tell you sounds (not letter names) using teams and markings.

spent. The actress spent $30,000 on her earrings. spent

"How many syllables?" "One." "That's correct. Now, what's the first sound you hear?" etc.

/s/ - /p/ - /e/ /e/ (long sound) - /n/ - /t/

you write it on the board as they say the sounds, then ask, "Are there any markings?"

"No, each letter says its first sound, so we have no markings."

You follow this process for the next portion of the list (4 words total for day 2)

If one of the words has a Rule Tune, you sing it or use the rule to remind the child of the spelling rule. For example,

belong (be long) "Why do we overline the E?" now sing to Row, Row, Row Your Boat "A, E, O and U usually say their name, at the end, at the end, of a syllable"

You follow this pattern for each word. It doesn't take long at all to learn the songs and they really make sense.

If Mister was the next word on your list, you'd spell it out as above, then say, "Pull out Building Code 18."

BC18 is titled: Abbreviation: A Word Made Shorter

You explain (DVD gives total instruction on How To) what an abbreviation is and how they are usually formed.

The student takes their spelling word, Mister, and writes it on BC18 in one column. Then, in the second column, the student writes the abbreviation, Mr.

Mister Mr.

Mistress Mrs.

Street St.

Each time they come to a spelling word (from any list) that will work on this BC, they will add it to the list, connecting spelling and grammar, continually reviewing a variety of spelling and grammar rules.

Building Codes are basically the rules of spelling. Framing Codes are introduced in Y2 and they are grammar rules.

They will dictate a sentence using a couple of the spelling words to you. You then can write them on the board and they will copy them as copywork (beginning composition), reminding them of capital letters and punctuation.

PR2 Week 8 Day 3

Review as described above for previous sounds and spelling words

Pull out FC 1 (titled Let's Compare!)

Student spells out funny, funnier, and funniest as above (Rule Tunes remind us about I and Y and also adding a vowel suffix to a word that ends in Y, base words, etc.)

Add those 3 words to your FC1

That's it. That's your spelling for the day!

In the FC section you have your lesson plan for grammar. Week 8, Day 3 says:

Dictate 4 new sentences. You dictate and help with spelling if needed. The words in the sentence are some mostly words from previous lists and a few names. Using the instruction already given this year, the student will take those dictated sentences and mark subject, predicate, simple subject, simple predicate, and noun objects. YES! Your second grader is already understanding and marking sentences...diagramming will be very easy in a wee bit of time!

In case you missed it, your composition (writing sentences properly) is combined with that grammar! Another day might include introducing the definition of possessive pronouns and learning the song for poss. pn.

Literature same week and day. Each week you go over any vocab (which is listed for you) from the story --- we just hit the words as we read.

This days work is just to have dc read aloud about 2 pages from Little House in the Big Woods. That's all for today!

At the end of the week, you will read aloud to the dc what they read this week (about 8-10 pages). Then, you'll do a notebook activity that teaches outlining using the events of the story (Pa makes bullets, cleans his gun, and reloads it). You end up with Roman Numerals I-III and as many as 6 examples in one section. So, now your literature has covered reading comprehension, reading practice, vocabulary, and writing. To demonstrate, Mrs. Beers actually creates the outline, but mixes up the listings. The child needs to make the connection (rdg comp), order them (writing process), then copy them in correct format (spelling, copywork)

Extra activities are listed just for fun: 1) look for a video on muzzle-loading rifle

2) look up verses about obedience in you bible; learn to use a concordance

3)read some Aesop's Fable together

PR3 Week12 (my year 3 is from planning, but not using)

Spelling: Write capture-hear (they only need to mark words they misspell at this point) Any associated Building Codes will be worked in as you progress through the words.

Framing codes: Look up each word in the dictionary and label the parts of speech (label spot is provided on spelling list)

Designing Codes: After week 17 spelling morphs to intro. to Latin. I.e., your spelling words are combined with Latin pre/suffixes

Dicatated sentences fit in there too, but I'm not sure where without reviewing. I lesson planned this in June, so I forget :)

Literature is a combination of read aloud days and more notebooking than PR2. This year there are 2 books.

I hope that helps. I could send you a page via email if you wanted to view the lesson plans. I caution though, the plans may look like gibberish when you don't have the entire program notebook in front of you and the dvds to better explain.

Is this clear...as mud?

WHAT??? I've never heard of The Phonics Road... and it looks wonderful!!! And it's so expensive!!! And now I must get it!! Why can't I just remain blissfully ignorant? I guess I could if I never came onto this forum... but I have a slight addiction to researching curriculum. It's past midnight. I'm going to bed.

WHAT??? I've never heard of The Phonics Road... and it looks wonderful!!! And it's so expensive!!! And now I must get it!! Why can't I just remain blissfully ignorant? I guess I could if I never came onto this forum... but I have a slight addiction to researching curriculum. It's past midnight. I'm going to bed.

You and me both. We should form a group for helpless curriculum researching junkies. :lol: I would REALLY like to know if there is a yahoo group. It's so expensive I'd love to find it used.

You and me both. We should form a group for helpless curriculum researching junkies. :lol: I would REALLY like to know if there is a yahoo group. It's so expensive I'd love to find it used.

I found one but it looked pretty dead.

http://groups.yahoo.com/group/using_phonics-road/

Maybe I just didn't use the right search terms?

I found one but it looked pretty dead.

http://groups.yahoo.com/group/using_phonics-road/

Maybe I just didn't use the right search terms?

Not too much activity, but questions are answered fairly well there.

I'd like to add, "Hello. My name is Tina and I've been recovered from curriculum addiction for 2 years now." Coffee and doughnuts, anyone? :D

Yes thank you for the description Tina, that was most helpful. ;)

You're welcome :) A friend of mine was looking at the Latin Road for her eldest and glanced at PR. She told me to look at it, so when I went to convention I sat in the class. Seemed a little dull, but I wanted to look at it anyways. When I got my hands on the materials and saw the DVD presentation of the lesson, it all made perfect sense.

I can't believe more people don't use this program, honestly. I imagine the price deflects some, but if you consider the numerous areas of study it covers, it's really not bad at all. And after living through some language arts difficulties with the older dc (spelling mostly, some grammar and writing), it's so worth it for our family! Really do the happy dance around here using PR....

AND :lol: it helped break my addictive curricula purchasing habits!

Not too much activity, but questions are answered fairly well there.

I'd like to add, "Hello. My name is Tina and I've been recovered from curriculum addiction for 2 years now." Coffee and doughnuts, anyone? :D

Good stuff. :grouphug: Now, if I could just find it used. Hmmmm.... Oh, and maybe sell the hundreds of dollars worth of other curriculum I have. Actually, I still LOVE SWR and feel that these 2 curriculum are very very similar after reading a comparison on the SWR yahoo group. However, I really need the DVDs. We will be living overseas which makes it very hard to get support should I need it, so I think PR would work best.

I can't believe more people don't use this program, honestly. I imagine the price deflects some, but if you consider the numerous areas of study it covers, it's really not bad at all. And after living through some language arts difficulties with the older dc (spelling mostly, some grammar and writing), it's so worth it for our family! Really do the happy dance around here using PR....

AND :lol: it helped break my addictive curricula purchasing habits!

I think part of it is the dvd's scare people off and it looks at first glance to be very complicated. That is what I thought at first. I love scripted TM's so this really intimidated me.

The first few weeks I felt lost. Now I love the dvd's. I watch about a months worth at a time, make notes in my teacher's notebook/manual and I'm off.

It really is not that difficult as I thought it was going to be.

The only down side is it seems not many people use it and it's hard to find support. There are times I would like to ask a question but feel like I have no where to go. I did put in my request to join the PR Yahoo group.

Good stuff. :grouphug: Now, if I could just find it used. Hmmmm.... Oh, and maybe sell the hundreds of dollars worth of other curriculum I have. Actually, I still LOVE SWR and feel that these 2 curriculum are very very similar after reading a comparison on the SWR yahoo group. However, I really need the DVDs. We will be living overseas which makes it very hard to get support should I need it, so I think PR would work best.

Phonics Road also had the reading and grammar. I know SWR has grammar at least from the samples I have seen. I'm still debating about which way to go. I really like PR but SWR seems less expensive after the first time expensive of starting up. After that you are bascially just purchasing the Logs.

Anyway, love PR. I also like that I don't have to build my own notebook. It's included in the package.

I'm going to try SWR with my two oldest and continue using PR with my to middle for now.

Phonics Road also had the reading and grammar. I know SWR has grammar at least from the samples I have seen. I'm still debating about which way to go. I really like PR but SWR seems less expensive after the first time expensive of starting up. After that you are bascially just purchasing the Logs.

Anyway, love PR. I also like that I don't have to build my own notebook. It's included in the package.

I'm going to try SWR with my two oldest and continue using PR with my to middle for now.

Well, I found the PR for sale and am going to snatch it up. I have basically everything that you can buy for SWR and will be putting it up for sale after I get PR in my hands and make sure it is what I want. Just a FWIW

Well, I found the PR for sale and am going to snatch it up. I have basically everything that you can buy for SWR and will be putting it up for sale after I get PR in my hands and make sure it is what I want. Just a FWIW

Good idea. One mistake I have made more than once; is selling my curriculum only to purchase it again:blush: