Menu

Is this enough for my ds7?

JadeOrchidSong

I have two dss, 7 and almost 5. I would like some feedback for the curriculum I use.

• History/geography/read-aloud/readers: Sonlight Core K with random readers at 3rd to 5th grade level

• Science: Sonlight K science

• Co-op science twice a month: Flying creatures of the 5th day

• Rod and Staff English 3 (ds7 just finished English 2)

• Sequential Spelling 1 (after many tears with R and S spelling 2)

• Singapore primary math 2B (1/4 done)

• Chinese: 2nd grade Chinese for families that speak Chinese at home

• Musikgarten Keyboard 1st year

• Mark Kristler online 3-D drawing (just signed up) and some art class at art institute.
  • Cub scouts once a week with gym games half of the time and den activities the other half

I always feel it is lacking. Should I let him do more writing (WWE) than R and S English, or wordly wise vocab, or ....

He just finished reading the Hobbit by himself and understood it very well. He could read one Magic Tree House in an hour or so. He is such an avid reader that I don't bother getting a reading program for him, or should I?

Please share what you do for your 7 yr olds or give me some ideas what I should add.

J

It looks like plenty to me! If it makes you feel more assured in using Rod and Staff English, it's highly recommended in The Well Trained Mind and they state that you don't need a separate writing program if you're using the writing components in R&S. It's also stated in The Well Trained Mind that a separate reading program is unnecessary, if your child is doing already lot of reading- they can narrate some of their reading to you and make an occasional notebook page if they enjoy that.

Looks good to me too. I also have a 5 and 7 yo ds. I just purchased some Mind bender workbooks from Critical Thinking. Or Singapore has some additional workbooks you could add. Do your kids want more to do? I can't imagine adding much more to what my 7 yo is already doing and I don't think he could either!