Menu

We are up to chapter 6 in book 1A and we love it. It is easy to teach. We work through all of the class practices, examples and "you try it" problems together on a little white board and then he works through the problesms. He works really slow but carefully so it takes us about 2 days per section. I wouldn't know where to begin to give a mathy review but my son (7th grade) is pretty mathy though he says that he doesn't like math and it seems to be challenging for him but not to the point of frustration. I have already ordered book 1B and I am pretty sure we will use all 4 years of this program.

Thanks so much! We're slowly working our way through NEM 1 and hating it. I dread math as much as my daughter does now. I know it's a great program but... Anyway, since we've always used Primary Math, I'm going to order Discovering Math very soon, maybe today!

Ann

I didn't realize you were already using NEM and not liking it. I thought you were trying to decide between the two.

Post back after you try DM and make a comparison.

Here are examples of two lessons on a similar topic:

NEM: http://www.singaporemath.com/v/vspfiles/assets/images/sp_nemt1_3.gif

DM: http://www.singaporemath.com/v/vspfiles/assets/images/sp_dmt1a3.pdf

Difference between the series:

http://www.singaporemath.com/FAQ_Secondary_Math_s/16.htm#Differences_Between_the_Series

And here is the scope and sequence chart (I made a list of the differences, and they both contain about the same number of items that the other excludes):

http://www.singaporemath.com/v/vspfiles/assets/images/SSSecMath2008.pdf

we are still working on finding a routine with it. :001_smile:

He is also using Life of Fred Beginning Algebra, and I consider Lof to be his main math program.

So far, DM has been mixed for us. This ds taught himself math w/ Singapore PM (US ed.), but with DM I have to go over the lessons with him. The problems can be pretty challenging, and we are finding that doing an entire lesson is often too much in one day. I think we're going to spread each lesson out over two days.

It is pretty easy to teach from, though. And the word problems are still great, as they give some context to the math.

we are still working on finding a routine with it. :001_smile:

He is also using Life of Fred Beginning Algebra, and I consider Lof to be his main math program.

So far, DM has been mixed for us. This ds taught himself math w/ Singapore PM (US ed.), but with DM I have to go over the lessons with him. The problems can be pretty challenging, and we are finding that doing an entire lesson is often too much in one day. I think we're going to spread each lesson out over two days.

It is pretty easy to teach from, though. And the word problems are still great, as they give some context to the math.

Is the content similar to LOF beginning Algebra? I'm trying to decide if I want to use LOF Pre-Algebra along with DM, but since I don't have it in hand yet....

I just wanted to add that we have been spreading the lessons out over 2 days except for an occassional short lesson. We are doing the class activity, examples, and try its together on a white board then he does the the basic practice. The following day he is able to do math independently and finish the lesson. I correct it then we go over the mistakes on the white board. We have made it through chapter 6 and it is going very well.

Also, just when DM 1A is getting to Algebra in chapters 4 -6, then it goes to geometry for chapters 7 and 8. So, I think LoF Beg Alg is just what it says. There will be some overlap, and my ds will hit some topics in DM first, and some topics in LoF first. I'm not going to try to match them up.

You can compare the table of contents of the two (I hope the links work correctly):

LoF Beginning Algebra TOC

Discovering Mathematics TOC

Actually you can be one year "behind" w/ Singapore books, as they start school one year later than we do in the U.S. If you finish level 5 in 6th grade, and work level 6 in 7th grade, you are right on track to take either pre-algebra or algebra in 8th grade. (Or move into one of the Singaporean high school math series in 8th).

You can see samples on the Singapore website, and you can see a comparison chart of the various Singapore secondary series at the end of this FAQ.