Menu

Dog in parked car on cool day?

I'm not finding this information on Google - everything is about summer heat.

Is it a problem to leave a small dog in a car for an hour on its own in the autumn? It will be 50 degrees Fahrenheit at dusk when Calvin is having a Chinese lesson - I wanted to leave the dog in the car for that time, then take her for a walk afterwards. She's very placid, so the wait won't worry her.

Thanks

Laura

I would, but only in a crate. My dog once got her head and neck tangled up in the shoulder seat belt while walking around in the back of the car. I had to pull over to get her untangled. It was quite scary and it could have been disastrous if I hadn't been in the car.

Edited by Perry

I don't leave mine that long but so far it hasnt' been a problem. I've been taking my dog for the last several weeks to orchestra. My daughter has practice. I go in with my daughter, see that she's settled, et c., then go walking with my dog. i come back about 15 minutes b/f class ends. No problems.

I do the same for play practice.

I always keep the window cracked, though. If you're concerned, you could leave a thermometer in the car for an hour and see what the temp gets to. You'd need to make sure you check at the same time of day and under the same conditions as the actual day.

My dog is so desperate to go that for autumn and winter, I dont' worry. Very early spring is okay but later it can get really warm here. Just bear in mind how hot it can get even on a cool day with direct sun, et c.

Would you feel comfortable under the same conditions? If you had a book to read and tilted back the seat, would you feel comfortable in this temp/air circulation for an hour?