Menu

What would you use as an American History Spine...

Sahamamama

We would like to read through American History next year (2010), using living books (A Book in Time has a nice list). But we need a spine, to fill in the gaps where the library doesn't have a book on, say, Eli Whitney (at my daughter's level).

What would you use for American History (beginnings to 1900s) for a primary level child (as read alouds)? Thanks!

We did US history through the primary years, and I found the Cornerstones of Freedom and We the People series to be great non-fiction books to round out just about any topic. I tend to like the Cornerstones series a bit more, but I'd often get both from the library and see which one I liked better. As far as I know, the Joy Hakim series is written more for middle school level.

Those series above do have some biographies, but for younger elementary biographies I like the Who was...? series and the Carolrhoda "On My Own" biographies even better. For upper elementary, my kids also really liked the Signature Lives series.

We are using A Child's History of America for primary ages (1st and 3rd). I love it. However, it does start with Christopher Columbus so you'd have to supplement topics like the First Americans and Viking explorers if you wanted to cover that. We are just using Evan Moore's History Pockets Native Americans and reading through Leif the Lucky by the D'Aulaires. I'm also using Hakim's books for "some" topics as a read-aloud. Her material is meant for Middle grades but could easily be read aloud to youngers. I'm loosely following guesthollow.com 's Amer. Hist. schedule and adding in my own books as we are interested. HTH. You could also try MFW's Story of the US.

We are using A Child's History of America for primary ages (1st and 3rd). I love it. However, it does start with Christopher Columbus so you'd have to supplement topics like the First Americans and Viking explorers if you wanted to cover that. We are just using Evan Moore's History Pockets Native Americans and reading through Leif the Lucky by the D'Aulaires. I'm also using Hakim's books for "some" topics as a read-aloud. Her material is meant for Middle grades but could easily be read aloud to youngers. I'm loosely following guesthollow.com 's Amer. Hist. schedule and adding in my own books as we are interested. HTH. You could also try MFW's Story of the US.

Hey, Sue, you could be my CLONE! This is so weird, in a good sort of way... your AH plan sounds EXACTLY like what I thought we'd do for next year:

1. Begin with EM's History Pockets for Native Americans & the "If You Lived With..." series

2. Read Leif the Lucky by the D'Aulaires

3. Follow GuestHollow's American History line-up (tweaked a bit, because I'm trying to get to 1900, LOL).

4. Adding in some books I think we might enjoy

THANK YOU so much for the recommendation for A Child's History of America! I'm heading off now to look it up.... :auto:

Oh goodness. Forgive me. It is A Child's Story of America published by Christian Liberty Press. It covers from Columbus (it does briefly mention Leif the Lucky's expedition) through the Clinton Administration (just a brief summary of each "hot topic" from 1972 on...kwim?). Sorry for the confusion. It doesn't get into great detail, but it is a good introduction to Amer. History. Flesh it out with the History Pockets, some lapbooks, other biographies of famous people or whatever strikes your interest (or dc's interests). I'm also using SOTW 3 and 4 as read-alouds to fill in a bit of what is happening around the rest of the world at this time. Next year, my plan is to start with Creation to Greeks using MFW or possibly HOD. Not sure yet. Anyway, again, sorry for the confusion. BTW...I was able to get a bunch of the rec. books on paperbackswap.com (Squanto, Friend of Pilgrims, Night Bird and Pedro's Journal, North American Indians, If you Lived With the Sioux, etc.). Just an FYI. HTH!

The spines we are using this year are:

Usborne Internet linked Encyclopedia of World History

Story of the World 3 and 4

A Child's Story of America by CLP

History of the United States by Abeka

Complete Book of United States History by McGraw-Hill

I have actually been pleasantly surprised with the Complete Book of US History and the History of the United States by Abeka. We are loving history this year. There are sooo many great books covering American History!

I have actually been pleasantly surprised with the Complete Book of US History

Me too! I just got it the other day and it looks like it will meet my needs perfectly. I looked at a lot of other books used as spines in other programs and they were either providential (not what I want) or written in very old-fashioned language that my son doesn't speak :tongue_smilie:. The Complete Book of US History cover a lot of ground, gives enough information to make it interesting but not so much it's overwhelming. Since it's only $10, I may even let my DS write in it ;)