Menu

Embarrassing question - What do you mean by spine?

az_momy

I think I'm supposed to know what you mean when you talk about "spines" in reference to curricula, esp. after many years of homeschooling. Maybe I'm losing brain cells or I'm trying to make this harder than it is (too many years of typing radiological data?)... :001_huh:

Will someone kindly explain to me what you mean when you talk about a history spine, for example?

Thank you:blushing:

A spine is the main resource. For example, many use the Kingfisher History encyclopedia as their history spine, and add in other books, dvd's and sources to supplement the study. Some use MOH as a spine, some use science encyclopedias for science spines and add to the study additional books, etc. :001_smile:

A curriculum spine is similar to the spine in a body in that it provides a structural base or foundation for everything else. TOG, for example, uses a spine of history. Most subjects within each unit connects to the period of history being studied in some way. For example, our literature, composition, geography, art projects,etc. relates to whatever we are reading about in our history assignments.

Does that make sense now?

Blessings,

Lucinda

A spine is the main resource. For example, many use the Kingfisher History encyclopedia as their history spine, and add in other books, dvd's and sources to supplement the study. Some use MOH as a spine, some use science encyclopedias for science spines and add to the study additional books, etc.

Okay, so I was making this much harder than it is. I had read posts where people were referring to encyclopedias as spines and I couldn't imagine being able to use an encyclopedia to branch off of (time, being the key factor). How I'd love to have many of you as my teacher, LOL! Ahh, the days when I was a fun teacher...:tongue_smilie:

A curriculum spine is similar to the spine in a body in that it provides a structural base or foundation for everything else... For example, our literature, composition, geography, art projects,etc. relates to whatever we are reading about in our history assignments.

Does that make sense now?

Thank you. This is what I suspected, in relation to a specific program such as FIAR. (Hey, I'm actually doing that with my preschoolers this year for geography and language arts in a FIAR sort of way). However, then I read about people using encyclopedias as spines. I couldn't wrap my mind around that. Now I see how you are talking about incorporating supplements and/or multiple subjects around any "spine" to get the desired information infused.

You ladies explained this nicely, thank you!

Thank you. This is what I suspected, in relation to a specific program such as FIAR. (Hey, I'm actually doing that with my preschoolers this year for geography and language arts in a FIAR sort of way). However, then I read about people using encyclopedias as spines. I couldn't wrap my mind around that. Now I see how you are talking about incorporating supplements and/or multiple subjects around any "spine" to get the desired information infused.

You ladies explained this nicely, thank you!

Exactly. For history especially, it is really nice to have one main source that provides the chronology and ties everything in together. In Science, I am using a program (REAL Science Odyssey) as a spine and supplementing along the way with extra books that fit in with the topics scheduled.