Menu

Gah! Which wording is correct? (working on husband's resume)

How do I say this? We're going back and forth on it and it's driving me bonkers. Why am I having trouble with this?

OBJECTIVE:

To assist commercial and residential builders in Name of County with accomplishing their construction goals.

OR

OBJECTIVE:

To assist commercial and residential builders in Name of County accomplish their construction goals.

How do I say this? We're going back and forth on it and it's driving me bonkers. Why am I having trouble with this?

OBJECTIVE:

To assist commercial and residential builders in Name of County with accomplishing their construction goals.

OR

OBJECTIVE:

To assist commercial and residential builders in Name of County accomplish their construction goals.

Or "in accomplishing"?

OBJECTIVE:

As a former (albeit very rusty) editor, allow me to share this tip: it is always helpful to chunk and substitute in a long, confusing sentence. In order to do this, I've chunked the colour coded words together, and substituted simpler words that mean the same thing. Here it is:

(my goal is) To help Gordon in Florida accomplish his goals.

So transfer the mechanics of this shorter sentence to the larger one. ;)

As a former (albeit very rusty) editor, allow me to share this tip: it is always helpful to chunk and substitute in a long, confusing sentence. In order to do this, I've chunked the colour coded words together, and substituted simpler words that mean the same thing. Here it is:

(my goal is) To help Gordon in Florida accomplish his goals.

So transfer the mechanics of this shorter sentence to the larger one. ;)

Karen, I'm also a (rusty) former editor and that's why I'm frustrated this threw me off! :)

You used the word "help" which is easier for me to hear. But we want to use the word "assist." And it's different. You would "help Gordon accomplish his goals", yes, but you wouldn't "assist Gordon accomplish them," KWIM? So would you use with or in? I can see now the it wouldn't be "accomplish" by itself.

ETA: I think "with accomplishing" right?

Karen, I'm also a (rusty) former editor and that's why I'm frustrated this threw me off! :)

You used the word "help" which is easier for me to hear. But we want to use the word "assist." And it's different. You would "help Gordon accomplish his goals", yes, but you wouldn't "assist Gordon accomplish them," KWIM? So would you use with or in? I can see now the it wouldn't be "accomplish" by itself.

ETA: I think "with accomplishing" right?

HA! See, rusty we are! Yes, you are right! It makes sense when the word help is there, but put it back to assist, and yes, it would be: to assist Gordon with his editing skills. :lol: Oy! I'm going to bed! :lol: